1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalling Windows XP on new Hard Drive Partition

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Annanz, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Annanz

Annanz Thread Starter

* My old hard drive is starting to give up and I want to find out the best way to restore Windows XP without losing the date on the 1TB Drive.

My old 200GB hard drive Partitions are C, D, E, F, G, H

My new 1TB hard drive Partitions are J, K, L, M, N, O This drive only got my backup files etc but does have any installed programs.

I’ve attach a link to a screenshot of my Hard Drive Layout http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=ktmpqyx4.jpg

I haven’t installed anything on the J drive because this is where I would like to reinstall windows only rename the J drive (Win) as reminder notice. If I go ahead and unplug my old hard and make my new hard primary drive will I lose my entire partition layout on 1TB drive?

2. zyper95

zyper95

No, as long as you install the operating system on the designated partition that you choose. Just make sure that you are not installing the OS on the partiton where your backup files are stored.

3. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

No you should not, but as we say in the biz, back up, back up, back up.

Here is a potential problem, when XP setup looks at the drive, it will display the drive letters differently, so you would need to know the exact size of J partition, this way you can choose the correct partition by size and not letter during Install. Otherwise you may Install XP on the wrong partition.

A screen shot of that drive in Disk management will help others with more advanced advice.

4. Annanz

Annanz Thread Starter

Thank you both for your help. Here is a Screenshot of my Disk Management.
    http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=kkcko0f4.jpg
    So I understand you correctly when reinstalling Windows XP on the new hard drive the windows installation process will detect my new hard partition layout but not the partition drive letters J, K, L, M, N, O. So my new hard drive partition will be automatically renamed C, D, E, F, G, H?

When I setup the new partitions on my new Hard Drive I made one of the partitions 50GB for XP operating system and made it big enough for Windows 7 when I decide to upgrade in the future.

5. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Yeah, J is 50gb, so it should be easy to spot during XP setup partition and format screen.

There is no telling what letters it will assign, I always go by partition size. I usually make them all different sizes for this reason. Many other hard disk utilities (boot disks) do not display the letters, just the sizes.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/878177

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice