1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalling Windows XP problem....PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HHH2k4, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HHH2k4

HHH2k4 Thread Starter

My uncle has a Dell Dimension desktop 2400 and just installed a network card and got dsl, and soon after installing dsl his computer had several problems. I ran Adaware and deleted all of the Spyware and ran a Virus scan and deleted all of the viruses and his computer was still having a problem, so my uncle tried to reinstall Windows XP and this is the problem that I am posting here. He ran the cd to reinstall Windows XP and it was installing Windows and it said that it would be complete in approximately 39 minutes, the screen keeps moving telling us what is being installed, then starts installing devices and flashes to a blue Stop error screen. I read the screen and was going to do what it told me to, but every time I restart the computer either in Safe Mode or Normal Mode it always goes back to the Windows setup, and won't let me uninstall any of the software. Below is the screen that keeps popping up and won't let us complete the Windows installation, please read this and let us know what to do.
    Thanks

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Bad_Pool_Caller

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x000000C2 (0x00000007, 0x00000CD4, 0x00340045, 0xE20143E4)

Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

2. Slick Nick

Slick Nick

The following link will take you to a Microsoft technical bulletin that may help you out. Good luck. Cheers.

How to interpret a Stop 0xC2 or Stop 0x000000C2 error

3. HHH2k4

HHH2k4 Thread Starter

Slick Nick...I checked out the site that you directed me to, but I can't get anything off of the Windows XP cd or any the other cds because the computer keeps going to the Windows setup, and won't let me do anything. I tried going into safe mode but a pop up screen tells me that Windows setup can't run while in safe mode. What do I have to do. Please help.
    Thanks

4. wiserommer

wiserommer

its seems like an internal problem with your hardware bud...im would strongly suggest getting a pro opinion on this. Your HDD could be the main culprit

5. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

Sounds like you are at the point of a reformat and new install. Make sure you install SP2 while you're at it. Please note - a repair will not do. You have to reformat the hard-drive.

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

Did he disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless?

If you do have to do a clean install, This is a good guide for reinstalling on a Dell: http://www.djdenham.com/Install Procedures.htm

wrs

7. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

8. TripleH2k3

TripleH2k3

Couchmaster....How can I reformat the hard drive when the computer keeps restarting the Windows setup?

Simpswr....I disconnected the printer and took out the network card that I installed just before the computer started having problems.

RAM-PAGE...How do I reset the RAM module and add another one?

Everytime I restart the computer it resumes the Windows setup, and won't let me do anything. If the problem is with the hard drive and I need to reformat and reinstall Windows XP, how can I stop the Windows XP setup to stop resuming so that I can actually do something? Is there something that I can do right when the computer boots to stop the Windows setup? This is very frustrating because my uncle has not been able to use his computer for about a week now. PLEASE HELP.
    THANKS

9. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

When you boot to the XPCD (hopefully SP2, or slipstreamed with SP2?) you will see "Press any key to boot from CD..."

You ONLY do this the FIRST time you see the message, as if you press a key on the consecutive occasions you WILL cause the install to go back to the beginning!

The PDF file will show you how to remove/replace and add another RAM Module. How much RAM does the system have and what are the specifications for the DELL 2400 without my having to look them up again?

Here is an example of what I did with my own drive and XP Pro:

Clean Install XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Example of partitioning an 80Gb drive: (Maxtor Diamondmax 7,200 rev/min with 8Mb drive-cache.)

80Gb (Decimal size) = 80,000,000,000 Bytes , divide by 1024 three times to give the Binary sizing:

78125000 Kb
    76293·95 Mb
    74·51 Gb

(10·0Gb = 10,000,000,000 Bytes (÷ 1024) = 9765625 Kb (÷ 1024) = 9536·74 Mb (÷ 1024) = 9·313 Gb)

Drive C: 10240 Mb (10·0Gb) Operating System & Programming. 2000 Min & Max paging file. (2048Mb on the drive.) (Drive Image

Backup to CDRs or Data DVDs)

Drive D: 10240 Mb (10·0Gb) (My) Documents & Email Folders.
    (Copy Backups to CDRs or Data DVDs)

Drive E: 20480 Mb (20·0Gb) Music only.
    (Drive Image Backup, otherwise original Audio CDs)

Drive F: Remaining Drive Space. Archive, Video, etc.
    (Archive Copy Backup to CDRs and/or Data DVDs)

Drive F: also has an Automated System Recovery (ASR) BackupC.bkf file for drive C: , to use with an ASR floppy.

All drives are partitioned & FULL formatted, directly from the Windows XP CD, to NTFS.

The installation uses Diskeeper 9 Professional, with Frag-Shield, to defragment the paging file and Master File Tables and to pad the Master File Tables when necessary.

NOTE: With 512Mb or more RAM, it might not be necessary to have a paging file and you might be able to disable the paging executive in the registry. This should be taken into consideration when looking for performance.

NOTE: Defragmenting the paging file and Master File Tables improves performance, as does running on 4192 bytes per allocation unit clusters, which is the default size for NTFS systems.

Fdisk and delpart.exe should only be used to delete partitions which cannot be deleted otherwise.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327283

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice