1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalling Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ckw80, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ckw80

ckw80 Thread Starter

I just recently wiped my hard drive and i went to reinstall Win Xp...everything seemed to go alright... until it tried to finish the set up process...an error stating:

sys.dll:symtax error in manifest or policy file
    D:\1386\asms\1000MSFT\WINDOWS\GDlPLUS.MAN
    on line 4

Error Installation Failed
    D:\1386\asms.

Error message..incorrect function

I dont know what that means..???? I have wiped hard drives b4 and installed Win98 but I am at a standstill with XP ...I always thought that installing windows was the easy part...can someone help me and tell me what to do to fix this. Thanks

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

There are some errors in your post which may cause problems for trying to resolve the issue.

The file is gdiplus.man, not GDlPLUS.MAN (lower case shows the difference, gdlplus.man does not exist.
    The error message "should" be a "syntax" one. Probably just a typo though.

The most likely reason is a dirty CD. Try cleaning it and retrying.

RAM errors are also prevalent at Windows installation time. Nothing stresses memory like it, and the same memory may perform OK after the install. Difference is it all gets used during the install.

3. ckw80

ckw80 Thread Starter

Thanks! k i understand the cleaning part of the cd...lol but the rest I not sure what ur trying to say..also the cd I am using is a copy . Could there be something wrong with the cd? Maybe the cd wasnt totally burned right?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Very likely the CD could be a dud. If the file is corrupt then nothing you do will fix it.

I will refrain from commenting on using a "copy" in the hope its just your back-up copy, and in that case why do you not use the original (which you must have...)

In the remote chance that the original CD does not belong to you, you realise the problems that you will get when activating the copy of XP after installation, if its ever been used on another PC I assume? Thats why its not really possible to run more than one PC off a single licence anymore. Its never been legal, and now its not really possible. But of course you are not doing that are you, as you would not be posting here, its against the rules...?

5. ckw80

ckw80 Thread Starter

6. ckw80

ckw80 Thread Starter

This "copy" so to speak was given to me by the place where my pc was bought...they never gave me a Windows cd because Windows was already installed on my pc...so when i ran into problems ...I went to them and told them that i thought the best way was to reformate...and that is the cd they gave to me ...they however looked up to see what my licence was and gave me a copy of the windows. So I guess the only thing to do now is to either take it back and pay for them to fix it...or should I try to reformate and reinstall again? Thanks again for your help.

7. unmutual

unmutual

Probably be easier and more reliable to reinstall 98 and go buy the XP update disk. I think it's $100. Then you'd have a real copy with tech support.

8. ckw80

ckw80 Thread Starter

Thanks....sounds like a good idea....seeing I have win 98 already. ;)

9. ReidCorbett

ReidCorbett

I'd also see about pressing charges against the people who sold you your computer as it sounds like you got cheated out of a licensed copy of Windows

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice