1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalling Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ste2223, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ste2223

ste2223 Thread Starter

Hi, I have a PC running a genuine copy of Windows XP Home. When I purchased this PC it did not come with any system restore disks. I want to reinstall windows but I don't want to buy a new copy as I already have a copy on the PC. Am I able to borrow a friends Windows XP disk and use my product code from the label on the PC? Thanks!

2. bbearren

bbearren

Your installation files are probably on a hidden partition on your hard drive. There is usually a particular key or key combination to hit on bootup to invoke the hidden partition and do a reinstall.
    There is a product code on your friend's CD. That product code has to match the product code you enter when you're doing the install, or it will abort. If you enter your friend's product code, you won't be able to activate windows, because that code won't be valid for your PC. You should be able to order a CD from the manufacturer for a small price.

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

What is the make and model of your computer?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    ste2223:

You can use someone else's Windows XP CD to format the hard drive and do a fresh install, but you have to use the 25-product code that came with your computer.

Just make sure it's an actual Windows XP CD and not a recovery/restore CD that you're going to use.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boot from the Windows XP CD.

Delete all the current partitions.

Create a new C: partition.

Format the new C: partition with the NTFS file system.

Install Windows XP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. ste2223

ste2223 Thread Starter

Its a Tiny computer.

6. bbearren

bbearren

I've tried that a couple of times (didn't want to look for the other CD) and it expressly did not work. The CD knew its product code, and would not accept any other. Perhaps with an enterprise version of the installation CD, that would work, but my experience with retail CD's is that it won't.

7. snteran

snteran

I am in the process of reinstalling a friends XP home addition and before I started I saw that there was a utility partition and I typically just use the steps that were posted by flavallee. Pretty straight forward, however I'm not a computer guru and I probably am not doing it the correct way but I wanted to see if that was the proper way or if I'm missing a step.

Thanks,

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice