1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reinstalling windows xp

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by T_PAIN, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. T_PAIN

T_PAIN Thread Starter

Well I tried the windows vista beta, just to see what all the new features was like but then I couldn't play any of my pc games and it became a bit of a problem. So then I wanted to install my windows xp back on my computer. And right before it gets to the Agreement page in the XP setup (Where you agree with F8). I will get the blue screen of death.

[​IMG]

that's the exact screen I will get before windows can even get to the agreement in the setup.

1. I tried formating, since windows vista only allows me to format. As well as use killdisk. Both didnt help the problem.

2. I bought a new hard drive and tried to install my windows xp on it, same error happened as well. with the blue screen of death at the same exact place.

So now I'm stuck with this vista beta version and can't get my windows xp back on my computer and I been trying for about two to three days now.

May someone please help me so I can get back to my computer gaming.

Thank you for you generosity,

Troy

heres my pc specs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_Pavilion_...0.html?tag=sub

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi T_PAIN

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

The first link you posted was truncated so the link doen't work. <argh>

You mention formatting, did you delete the partitions?

3. T_PAIN

T_PAIN Thread Starter

Yes, I deleted the patitions.

sorry here is the screen

[​IMG]

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

If you place the hard drive in a different computer, will the installation continue?

Are the hard drives SATA drives?
    Which version of Vista did you install? One of the Betas or RC1?

LiveCD has an FDISK utility.
    Can you boot to the Recovery Console?

5. T_PAIN

T_PAIN Thread Starter

I don't know anyone who will let me try installing my hard drive into their PC.

yes, My computer uses SATA Hard drives. I bought a new one expecting it to work but when I tried to install my windows xp on it, It did the same error on the new hard drive.

For the version of vista I have the

Windows Vista¬ô Ultimate (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205)

and console recovery doesnt work. I deleted the FAT32 =( accidently with killdisk. I didnt know it would delete my Fat32.

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Does the BIOS have an option for: BIOS native support?
    If so, disable that option, then try the installation of Windows XP.

7. T_PAIN

T_PAIN Thread Starter

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

I went into the BIOS and I didn't see anything that mentioned native BIOS support.

I only seen plug and play OS that can be enabled on or off. but it's currently "enabled"

Anything else that might help fixed the problem?

Will giving you the exact type of BIOS I'm running help?

8. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Is this a typo? If your final attempt was to try to format with the Vista disk, this could be the problem. Vista has some changes in its NTFS and, similarly, format structure. This could be causing some incompatibility problems when you try to reinstall XP.

9. T_PAIN

T_PAIN Thread Starter

Yes, When I use the windows vista installation . It will allow me to format in the setup as would the windows xp does in it's setup. But the problem is only windows vista will go that far, as for windows xp will stop "right before" the agreement of terms.

I formated with killdisk and it formated both my NTFS and my FAT32. what I was saying earlier is that. I can format, but as for getting to that part for adding new partitions and formatting partitions I can't get that far with the "windows xp cd". It just keeps stopping right before agreeing to terms in the windows xp setup screen. that's when I would get the blue screen of death as you can see the picture in my first post above.

EDIT:
    Is there any tweaks to allow me to play the games, Since I believe mostly all the games run on the DX9 and Vista has the DX10. I just would like to play my games again and vista is not allowing me to do so.

10. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

That is beginning to look more like a cd, or cd drive problem than a hard disk problem. Give it a good clean and try again

11. jmwills

jmwills

That's either a bad drive or bad MBR.

12. T_PAIN

T_PAIN Thread Starter

Well it could be dirty in the CD/DVD drive because when I opened my pc up it was dusty. So maybe I think I should get CD drive cleaner to clean the inside.

What do guys think?

And what's MBR?

13. jmwills

jmwills

Or either a terribly scratched CD.

MBR=Master Boot Record

14. T_PAIN

T_PAIN Thread Starter

So I would have to get a new windows xp cd?

and how can I fix the MBR

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This leads me to believe you are not using killdisk to zero fill the drive. Use either kill disk OR the hd mfg's utility for zeroing the drive. Once you do that, boot with your xp CD and do the install.

Note you may or may not have to load the sata driver for your controller.

Zeroing the drive will destroy ALL data on the drive so make sure there is nothing you need to keep.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice