1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalling Windows10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by xmalditoamor, Sep 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xmalditoamor

xmalditoamor Thread Starter

So I made a bootable usb. Tried reinstalling, it gave me the cannot install on this disk drive it is not GPT partition. Tried converting it to GPT now all my drives are gone. I rebooted and now the install Windows won’t come up. Please help.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. xmalditoamor

Yes, I downloaded W10 from microsoft site. 64bit. My computer was hand built by a company called Origin.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First open the case and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives except the drive where you want to install windows. Now boot the system with something that will wipe the drive ie DBAN, drive mfg's boot diagnostic, etc. Wipe the drive. Now boot with your win10 install usb.
    Most motherboards have a quick boot menu. The key or key combo to access this menu is different for each board mfg ie asus F8, Gigabyte F12, Asrock F11, etc. Read your motherboard manual as to what keys to use for access.

Note if you have a ssd drive DO NOT wipe; ssd drives should be secure erased and not wiped. Secure erase is not a format; it is a command issued to the drive controller. Most ssd mfg have a utility that will do this task; some very high end motherboards have a secure erase utility as part of the bios. The asus ROG boards have this option [at least my ROG crosshair 6 board has it]

BTW you did use the media creation tool and not just download the iso and copy the iso file to a usb correct?

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

To return to the opening post, when you received the message
    If it was
    Then the problem is likely to be that either the existing windows 10 was installed MBR - That is legacy mode traditional BIOS
    OR if you had gone as far as selecting a partition on a drive, then it is possible, that you selected the wrong partition or indeed the wrong drive

Please see this
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...stalling-using-the-mbr-or-gpt-partition-style

How you should now proceed depends on HOW you instructed the convert to GPT

I personally would not yet proceed to a wipe/erase/format of the drive until you are certain that you do not mind losing everything on the drive
    Not only the windows install of course, but any and all personal data etc.

xmalditoamor likes this.
  6. xmalditoamor

That Microsoft document is what someone else recommended I wiped the drive and tried to convert it. It then showed I had no more drives to try to install Windows. Then after rebooting it is saying that my usb drive is no longer a bootable drive I think. I’m wondering if this is even fixable or should I take it to computer repair.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have not responded to the question in post #4
    Did you use the Microsoft media tool or did you copy the iso file to the usb?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you wiped the drive, there is no converting. There is nothing on the drive to convert ie no MFT, no GPT, nothing. The drive is blank; just like it came out of the box.

xmalditoamor likes this.
  9. xmalditoamor

I did use the media creation tool!
    I used the Microsoft media tool! Sorry

10. xmalditoamor

That makes sense that I didn’t think about I just followed instructions without questioning. I didn’t care about anything on my hard drive but I should have backed up but at the same time I had files I didn’t want and couldn’t delete. I should have asked forum to help me with my actual problem but I asked reddit and thought reinstalling was gonna be easy. LOL.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I am going to be OFF for the rest of the night. Attempt the following;
    1 Open the case and be SURE you have pulled the pw connectors from all drives except the one you want for the windows install. You can reconnect the other drives after the install is finished
    2 Consult your motherboard manual as to what key to use for the quick boot menu. Note on many motherboards, fast boot must be OFF or disabled in order to use the quick boot menu; again read the motherboard manual
    3 Insert the windows install usb in a usb slot
    4 Pw ON and hit the key to bring up the quick boot menu [another option is to enter the bios and put the usb as the first boot device however I prefer the menu]
    5 Once windows setup starts, you should be able to select the drive you wiped as the drive to install
    6 Complete the install then install drivers ie chipset, sound, lan, video, etc.

Good luck. I have a bunch of errands to do tomorrow and will not check this till later in the day.

12. xmalditoamor

I don’t even know which is which I’m going to have to take it to a repair probably lol, I have already messed it up enough. Also I don’t even have a motherboard manual I didn’t build my pc.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You do not need a paper manual. Simply look on the motherboard itself for the brand and model# ie Asus ROG crosshair 6 or whatever. Go to the support page for that board and download the manual.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice