1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reinstalling windows95

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by config, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. config

config Thread Starter

I am trying to reactivate an old win95 computer and must reload windows.

I have the Win 95 CD and also the Win 95 startup floppy (which does not run on startup). I am booting to A: and find 13 files in the directory.

Which one do I run to get to the point of being able to run the CD setup ?

Thanks. Dave

2. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

If it were mine, I would first run a startup disk (get one at Bootdisk. com) and when it boots up, type FDisk. Delete all partitions, then create the partition you want (I like the whole disk option), then make the partition active........then shut down, let it reboot, format the partition by typing Format when it comes up again.....Then shut down again (this is a quirk I have and you probably don't have to do that), put the CD in the drive and when it boots up again (with CD Support), then type setup when it comes up and away you should go. It should install.

3. config

config Thread Starter

Thanks. First efforts got download, but "can not run in DOS mode" result. Again several choices of alt's etc.

My startup disk had "fdisk". Running that gets me several partition questions which generally say "that is already set". Delete is the only choice I am afraid to try. Otherwise I can't seem to procede.

Suggestions?

4. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

If you have your BIOS setup menu to boot fo Floppy first, then the boot disk should come up. Hope you downloaded a boot disk. O.K., so they are already set, delete the partition that is set......reset the partition, activate the partition, then shut down, when the boot disk comes back up type format and it will format the hard disk...then, shut down and when it comes up again, type setup....it should go.........OR, if you want to keep your patition that you have, just type Format when the boot disk comes up....then, it should go....remember to shut down then and reboot with CDRom support and type setup. If the boot disk does not have CDRom support on it, then download a version of the Win98 boot disk and it will also work.

5. config

config Thread Starter

Thanks, but one more question. The warning "Data in the deleted primary DOS partition will be lost" scares me. Will any program or storage data be lost ? ( I don't want to reformat the C drive, just reactivate the Windows program.

Thanks again

6. Arky

Arky

If by the time you read this you have removed a partition, you already know that your data is gone forever.

7. config

config Thread Starter

I still have the data and "is there any hope" ?

8. kodi

kodi

Please clarify:do you already have Win95 on your hard drive and you want to install it over itself.
    If so start your system, place your setup CD in then go to start/my computer/click on your cd icon to open it and click on the setup icon (the one like a computer not the notepad one).
    Then follow the instructions.

9. config

config Thread Starter

Win 95 was installed, but SOME of the system files got deleted - so it is INOPERATIVE,but partially installed. I wanted to basically install over the remains.

Anyl hope ? Thanks.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice