Reinstalling Windows98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

reuven

Owing to difficulties I was having, I was advised to re-install Windows98 over existing set up. This happened three times. The result is that my windows folder instead of being about 700 MB's is now over 2 GB. Taking up valuable room. What is the best solution to reduce the amount to normal? Backing up the disk and reformatting is not possible as there is not sufficient room on my other sector-D:\. If I go on start up to the C command,
is it possible to delete the Windows folder. and with what effect on the remainder of the folders ?
Any help will be very welcome.

Reinstalling Win98 "over the top" does not increase the size of the C:\WINDOWS folder, the old system files are overwritten.

Over the top install can result in another windows folder like C:\WINDOWS.001 if the procedure was improperly performed. Specifically, during re-install one must ensure that C:\WINDOWS is the new (as well as the old) install folder (there is a specification during install for system folder).

If this is the case and you have three OS installed with two of them being C:\WINDOWS.001 and C:\WINDOWS.002 another reinstall to C:\WINDOWS can be performed, then the WINDOWS.001 and WINDOWS.002 folders can safely be deleted using windows explorer.

Best

reuven

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have only used C:\ Windows file every time , including the original set up. I also thought that the files should be overwriiten. But for some reason that did not happen. During the setup I never specify any alternative folder. And I only have the one Windows folder,the size being over 2 GB's.

blues_harp28

Hi..if you R/click My computer..R/click C >click on properties>disk cleanup>you should see Win98 uninstall information..you may have as much as 159.35mb..(thats what I had..last time I looked)
If you are sure you do not want to return to previous version of windows..delete files...;)

reuven

blues_harp28 said:
Hi..if you R/click My computer..R/click C >click on properties>disk cleanup>you should see Win98 uninstall information..you may have as much as 159.35mb..(thats what I had..last time I looked)
If you are sure you do not want to return to previous version of windows..delete files...;)
Thank you, but I think you misunderstood. What you are suggesting is the normal disk clean up-temporary internet files etc. My problem is with the Windows folder.

blues_harp28 gave you good advice; those "Temporary Internet Files" are IN your Windows folder, and unless you're diligent about removing them regularly, there are bound to be THOUSANDS of them, hidden from view. Using the Disk Cleanup option will remove many of the junk files in those folders, but there are many others it will leave behind, which is another stupid thing Windows does intentionally. I'll tell you which program you can use to get rid of the crap that Disk Cleanup leaves behind.

While his advice is fresh in your mind, check the links to the programs listed in his sig... sooner or later, they're bound to come in handy.

FWIW, you ALSO need to keep in mind that some malware can create files that eventually fill up your harddrive. We don't know if that is happening on your system, but it is still a possibility you need to be aware of. If your Windows folder starts to grow in size quickly after you follow my instructions, you'll have to scan your system to see if some malware is responsible for this problem.

One program that can help you get started is Crap Cleaner, which you can download from here:

http://www.ccleaner.com

Save it on the Desktop, where you can find it easily, then close your browser and run it. It will look for junk files throughout your system; unless there are certain files it finds that you KNOW you want to keep (the INDEX.DAT files are space hogs, along with the MSCREATE.DIR files, and all the other zero-byte files), let it show you how much trash it can eliminate, not only within the Windows folder, but throughout your system. Then, make note of how much space you'll recover, and let CCleaner eliminate the junk. Remember to reboot as soon as possible, so CCleaner can wipe out those stupid INDEX.DAT files (among others) on the reboot.

Next, run CCleaner a second time, but set it to analyze the Registry, instead of the computer files; to do this, click on the "ISSUES" option on the left of the screen. CCleaner will find a LOT of crap to remove, and ALL of those Registry items are actually occupying space in your Windows folder. ANYTHING CCleaner can eliminate from the Registry will shrink the size of your Windows folder even more. Better yet, once it removes the bloat from the Registry, it will condense it to eliminate the empty spaces. The Registry will take up less space, and load much faster once you let CCleaner attack it. Be SURE you click the "OK" button when asked if you want to backup the changes to the Registry, in case anything goes wrong. That way, you will be able to restore the Registry if you have problems from the changes CCleaner makes.

If your system works as expected for a week or so, it will be safe to delete the backup Registry file CCleaner creates and saves in the My Documents folder. The file will begin with "cc_", followed by a date and time stamp, and ending in ".reg". DO NOT tamper with any other .REG files you might find...

IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS after CCleaner flushes the crap out of your Registry, you can restore everything simply by right-clicking the .reg file, and choosing "MERGE" from the list of options. Again, if everything works properly for a week or more, you can delete the .reg file CCleaner created, and that will save you even more space.

These steps will get you started; I'm post again later with more specific advice on what junk files and folders you can physically delete from your system without causing problems, but for now, run Crap Cleaner as I've suggested, then post here with how much space you've regained, both in the Windows folder and the total throughout your system. I think you'll be surprised at the amount of trash CCleaner can find and remove for you.

Let us know if you have any questions; once you've run CCleaner, let us know how much smaller your Windows folder is. CCleaner can't do miracles, but it CAN help you regain a LOT of wasted space, and also shrink the size of your Registry (which helps to reduce the size of the Windows folder). Use it and learn some new skills...

reuven

sammysosa said:
blues_harp28 gave you good advice; those "Temporary Internet Files" are IN your Windows folder, and unless you're diligent about removing them regularly, there are bound to be THOUSANDS of them, hidden from view. Using the Disk Cleanup option will remove many of the junk files in those folders, but there are many others it will leave behind, which is another stupid thing Windows does intentionally. I'll tell you which program you can use to get rid of the crap that Disk Cleanup leaves behind.

While his advice is fresh in your mind, check the links to the programs listed in his sig... sooner or later, they're bound to come in handy.

FWIW, you ALSO need to keep in mind that some malware can create files that eventually fill up your harddrive. We don't know if that is happening on your system, but it is still a possibility you need to be aware of. If your Windows folder starts to grow in size quickly after you follow my instructions, you'll have to scan your system to see if some malware is responsible for this problem.

One program that can help you get started is Crap Cleaner, which you can download from here:

http://www.ccleaner.com

Save it on the Desktop, where you can find it easily, then close your browser and run it. It will look for junk files throughout your system; unless there are certain files it finds that you KNOW you want to keep (the INDEX.DAT files are space hogs, along with the MSCREATE.DIR files, and all the other zero-byte files), let it show you how much trash it can eliminate, not only within the Windows folder, but throughout your system. Then, make note of how much space you'll recover, and let CCleaner eliminate the junk. Remember to reboot as soon as possible, so CCleaner can wipe out those stupid INDEX.DAT files (among others) on the reboot.

Next, run CCleaner a second time, but set it to analyze the Registry, instead of the computer files; to do this, click on the "ISSUES" option on the left of the screen. CCleaner will find a LOT of crap to remove, and ALL of those Registry items are actually occupying space in your Windows folder. ANYTHING CCleaner can eliminate from the Registry will shrink the size of your Windows folder even more. Better yet, once it removes the bloat from the Registry, it will condense it to eliminate the empty spaces. The Registry will take up less space, and load much faster once you let CCleaner attack it. Be SURE you click the "OK" button when asked if you want to backup the changes to the Registry, in case anything goes wrong. That way, you will be able to restore the Registry if you have problems from the changes CCleaner makes.

If your system works as expected for a week or so, it will be safe to delete the backup Registry file CCleaner creates and saves in the My Documents folder. The file will begin with "cc_", followed by a date and time stamp, and ending in ".reg". DO NOT tamper with any other .REG files you might find...

IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS after CCleaner flushes the crap out of your Registry, you can restore everything simply by right-clicking the .reg file, and choosing "MERGE" from the list of options. Again, if everything works properly for a week or more, you can delete the .reg file CCleaner created, and that will save you even more space.

These steps will get you started; I'm post again later with more specific advice on what junk files and folders you can physically delete from your system without causing problems, but for now, run Crap Cleaner as I've suggested, then post here with how much space you've regained, both in the Windows folder and the total throughout your system. I think you'll be surprised at the amount of trash CCleaner can find and remove for you.

Let us know if you have any questions; once you've run CCleaner, let us know how much smaller your Windows folder is. CCleaner can't do miracles, but it CAN help you regain a LOT of wasted space, and also shrink the size of your Registry (which helps to reduce the size of the Windows folder). Use it and learn some new skills...

You're welcome; I'll keep typing the REST of the advice on which folders you can safely delete to gain more space.

First, open Windows Explorer, then click on the Program Files folder in the left window-pane. Find the "Online Services" folder in the right window-pane, highlight it, then DELETE it. It is only taking up space with advertising you don't need; depending on which version of Windows you're using, you can reclaim more than 10 MB of space just by deleting that single folder.

Next, scroll down and open the Windows folder, then open the Favorites folder. Delete everything EXCEPT the Links folder, which is where your personal bookmarks ("Favorites") are stored. The rest of them just contain advertising, so send them to that great bit-bucket in the ether.

Now, scroll down to the System folder (still inside the Windows folder). Find the "OOBE" folder in the right window-pane, highlight it, then delete it. The "Out of Box Experience" folder is just more advertising trash you don't need, and you'll save about 3.5 MB of space by deleting it.

Once you've finished doing that, remember to run Scandisk and Defrag (in that order). Remember to disable any screensavers BEFORE you begin, then boot into Safe Mode to start Scandisk. You'll find both programs listed in the Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools folder.

When Scandisk opens, set it to run the STANDARD type of test. Then, click on the "Advanced" button, and choose the options shown in the Scandisk.jpg I've attached to this post to get the best results. Once it starts running, shut off your monitor and go find something else to do for a while.

Check it after about 30 minutes to see if it is still working, or if something has caused it to stop. If you get a message that it has "stopped and restarted ten times", and asking if you want to see that message in the future, choose NO. You don't need to be reminded that it has to be restarted several times before it can finish, so you DON'T need to see that message.

Once Scandisk completes, you can reboot the system (into Safe Mode again), and run Defrag. Again, shut off the monitor and walk away. Check it after 30 minutes to be sure there are no problems. Once Defrag finishes, reboot the system back to the Desktop normally, and you should be a lot better off than you were before you asked for our advice.

Merry Christmas to you and those close to you; let us know how this turns out. If you run into any problems, you know where to find us...

Attachments

Don't delete "all" zero byte files. For example the Right Click .. Send to ... Desktop (Create shortcut) is a zero byte file.

Best

Having just reloaded W98Se this comes to mind.

There is an option when you reload to not save the present one as this gives you the opportunity to revert back to the present os and it is very large.

Here is an image of the popup window.

Attachments

reuven

Thank you. I will try these ideas and let you know the results, Happy New Year
reuven

reuven

To everybody -Thanks for all help. Everything is now fine. A friend gave me this- a simliar question to mine was asked on another forum( I won't give name) and there were several answers, all the same "get a larger disk drive" and the people who answered were proud that their Windows folders were large, 10Mg and more. Fortunately I didn't go to this forum!! Yet another forum,unamed by my friend, where someone stated that in one year their Windows folder had grown to 36GIGA's!!! unbelievable.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online