1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalling WinXP on HP Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by afrog4u2, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. afrog4u2

afrog4u2 Thread Starter

I am working on reinstalling windows XP Home on an HP Laptop
    I have the WIndows XP Home with SP3 image burned to CD.
    Laptop specs:
    HP Pavilion ze4400 (ze4430US), AMD 1.8 GHz mobile Athlon, 512MB (going to upgrade to 1GB), 40GB HD.

First off, to wipe the HD, I had to remove it, put it in an enclosure, hook it to my main laptop and reformat that drive using Drive Manager.

Putting it back into the original Laptop (above), (attempted) boot to CD, changed Boot order to use CDRom first. For some reason the laptop will not recognize the CD I burned as a valid install CD and goes to the HD. If I put my personal (original) Win XP Pro CD in, it recognizes it properly. In addition, Bart PE will install from disk, without an issue.

I have copied the files from the CD onto the harddrive into a folder, then while in Bart PE, attempted the install, the install hangs at the end of Copying the Installation files to the main install folder.

When I reboot from that attempted installation, my latest issue is an error with a missing HAL.DLL file.

What I think would be better would be some way to remove everything but the copied win cd files and then find a way to boot using a boot disk or maybe even a thumb drive, with command files and then use that to kick off the installation on the hard drive.

NOTE: It would seem to me to be a problem with the Win XP Home CD that I burnt from an ISO image (downloaded from MSDN Downloads), but if I put that same cd in my other PC's it is recognized and starts the installation routines. - I burned that image however on a Windows 7 laptop. Will that make the CD non-bootable for the problem laptop?

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

[​IMG] and welcome to the Forum

When you burned the cd, did you set it to burn at the slowest speed? Some cd drives will not boot from a copy of a disc . . particularly older ones

3. afrog4u2

afrog4u2 Thread Starter

No, I didn't use a slow speed.

I am going to research what I need to change in the Roxio Creator I am using for the drive which will be reading it. That drive is a TEAC DW-224E.

4. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

want a clean install i use this utility to clean off the HDD
    http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2006.04.12-HDD-Low-Level-Format-Tool/
    I have used this tool when a install has failed..
    apparently there is a system recovery disk for this model may be there is still data hidden on the hdd that was not removed in a normal format there for the Hal.dll error.Get a full set of drivers from Hp for the laptop
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?lc=en&lang=en&cc=us&product=331512&dlc=en&os=228

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

You might try burning it again at the slowest speed possible

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!