1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalling Word 2002 and Microsoft Works 7.0

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by MightyQueenC, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MightyQueenC

MightyQueenC Thread Starter

I don't know what I did, but I no longer have Word or Microsoft Words 7.0 or Microsoft Publisher on my computer.
    These are the disks I have:

Microsoft Works Suite > 5 disks and MS Office XP and another one called Office XP Small business.
    Can anyone tell me (step by step and easy for a dum-dum to understand) how to reinstall?

When I look in add/remove programs from the Control panel, MS Works 7.0 is gone as is Word 2002 as is Publisher. All the others in the Suite are there.
    When I click on the desk top shortcuts or from the start menu, I get this popping up (see attachment) for Word and Publisher.

Thanks in advance

Carolyn :eek:

If this is in the wrong section, Moderators, please move it for me :)

Attached Files:

2. XL Guru

XL Guru

Hi Carolyn.

>> I don't know what I did ...

Did you do anything much (i.e. have you made any major changes since the last time you used either prog)?

Here's one of the first things you should try:

Click on Start, then Run. Type

winword

press Enter.

(winword is the executable file for Word (the file that makes it run). Windows may be able to find it from this, so it's an attempt to check if Word is still on your system).

You can try the same for Publisher, except use mspub instead of winword.

Let us know if this works or not, or if you get stuck.

Rgds,
    Andy

3. MightyQueenC

Hi Andy :)

The only thing(s) that I am aware of that have occurred since the last time I accessed Word or Publisher (Mothers day this year...kid making a card) are:

http://forums.techguy.org/t362978&highlight=cookiegal.html

A lotta stuff happened in that thread ^^^ (oldest son handled it all by himself)

and another (evil) son downloaded and ran this

Win32 cabinet self extractor sometime between then and now...have no shread of an idea why, except I found the program hidden in my unused desktop items folder... and he's made himself scarce so cannot ask him :rolleyes:

When I ran each, winword and mspub from Start, both templates (?) came up followed by this message:

MS word has not been installed for current user. Please run setup to install the application

as well as the attached messages... :confused:

I am confused as to what disk it would ask for and well yeah... :eek:

Thank you for having a look

Carolyn :)

Attached Files:

4. XL Guru

XL Guru

If it was me I'd try System Restore (Start -- Programs -- Accessories -- System Tools) & rewind a few weeks.

BUT (assuming you have it enabled) this would also undo any program changes you've made since the date you rewind to ; you might not want to do that (?)

How long ago was Mother's Day there?

5. MightyQueenC

Mothers day was May somethingth, here. I am a bit ascared to do a system restore as I was a tad negectful and did not make a new restore point when the comp was humming along well :eek: . Darn me. I only found out about MS Word and MSPublisher gone awry when my youngest wanted to make a Fathers day card last night using Publisher.
    Does it make any sense to totally uninstall the XP Office, XP Office Small Business and the entire MS Works Suite and then reinstall them? We have nothing of any real importance saved on any of them...I don't think :eek:

But I will do whatever you advise :)

6. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> But I will do whatever you advise

I wouldn't if I were you. This is not my area. Wait for at least a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion.

"I no longer have Word or Microsoft Works 7.0 or Microsoft Publisher" ; how do you know? Were they uninstalled? Can you search the hard drive for winword and mspub? Works doesn't show up in my Add/Remove, although it is installed (although it was bundled in the first place, so that might be why -- unlikely tho').

What restore points do you have, if any?

Once the above is covered, there are various entries on MSKB for "patch package could not be opened" and error 1635 that may come in useful (e.g. this).

7. MightyQueenC

OK, Andy, I won't do as you say, but might follow some suggestions, then :p ;)

I did do a system restore (I was way bored this aft :eek: ) but I could only go back to June 15. Prior to that it would not/could not restore. Cool. So now I now see Microsoft Works 7.0 as well as MS Works 2003 set up launcher in the add/remove programs. I don't see Word at all, except in the start menu and on the desktop shortcut (neither which work without the error messages mentioned before). Trying to do a repair from there didn't work (unless I was using the wrong disk :eek: poo)

When I Start > run > the template (?) opens then Windows installer box flashes open then disappears and up comes an MS Word box that says: an error occured and this feature is no longer functioning properly. Would you like to repair this feature. Yes or no, and I clicked no, followed by another box that says: MS word has not been installed for current user. Please run set up to install the application.

When I start > run > mspub > same as above.

Is the Windows installer broken maybe?

I looked at your link:

To resolve this issue, run the Windows Installer CleanUp utility (following their instructions) then 3. Run Office Setup to reinstall Office.

Erm... what disk do I use to reinstall it? :eek:

Should I go ahead and try that or wait for some other opinions about this?

I sure don't want to get into doing anything to mess the computer up any worse than it is. E-mail, Internet, Anti-viral and spyware programs, photo/camera uploader are all working fine, just some programs.

Thanks again

Oh yeah, new issue: HP scanner will not open/work :mad: Windows (I think ?) installer is trying to install it (again?)....sigh. I'm afraid to try any other programs. Reboots are taking longer than usual to open Windows though.
    Just remembered something (sucks to be oldish ;) )...Firefox lost it's Bookmarks a few days ago. I found some that I had backed up on a floppy, but not the ones I was looking for....

*Note: I am the only User on this computer as well as anyone that uses it. I am also the Administrator. There are no passwords.

8. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> I sure don't want to get into doing anything to mess the
    >> computer up any worse than it is

Then why not create a restore point? :rolleyes: ( ;) )

>> Erm... what disk do I use to reinstall it?

I don't know Office XP -- is there more than one disk?

9. MightyQueenC

Create a restore point to today's date? I thought it had to be restored to a date when the computer was running efficiently...which would not be right now... :p Unless you mean create a restore point right now BEFORE I do any more "damage" with my fixes ;) :)

The Office XP stuff is in a set: disk 1. Office XP and disk 2. Office XP Small Business

10. XL Guru

XL Guru

"create a restore point right now" is exactly what I mean.

"Erm... what disk do I use to reinstall it?" would have to be disk 1 IMO. But first I would try the Installer CleanUp.

11. MightyQueenC

OK, I created a restore point. Check. I downloaded and opened the Windows Installer Cleaner thing. Check.
    Long pause....
    I still am not sure what to remove (see attached), followed by what to reinstall and how ie. using what disk(s)... :confused: sigh
    I cannot see for looking. :eek: Perhaps someone could tell me what is found in the XP Office (I don't see that listed in the Cleanup though :confused: ), Office 2000 Professional (I have that? I don't see a disk for it, but someone gave me a floppy of Powerpoint a while back so the lads and I could play with slide shows), Windows XP Media Content, XP Office Small Business, Microsoft Works 7.0, Works Suite OS pack etc.
    or perhaps give me a link to find out?

Please anyone, have a look and advise when you get a moment and thanks :)

Carolyn < thinking this might be harder for her to figure out than she thunk it would be :eek:

Attached Files:

12. MightyQueenC

ummm BUMP :eek:

I'll check back after work today to see if there are any responses.

Thanks

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/373117

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice