1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalling XP after Vista Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JFarny, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JFarny

JFarny Thread Starter

Hello,

February of this year, I installed the vista business upgrade over my original operating system, XP professional. I have been very disappointed with Vista and have finally decided I am fed up with all the bugs and compatability issues. Also, I do not know if this is Vista related, but I feel like my computer ran faster and had better frame rates while playing games with XP. If I am wrong in these regards please let me know.

With these concerns in mind,

1) I am looking for the steps I need to go through to back-up vital programs and files on my machine.

2) The steps for reinstalling XP

3) The steps for restoring my backed-up data onto XP

I appreciate any help you can provide and am looking forward to your response.

Thanks for your time,
    Jacob Farny

2. GodforSaken

GodforSaken

hey JFarny..

Vista is much heavier then XP.. it requires a lot more Ram and CPU usage, now i don't know what kinda Rig you have there so I'm going to assume it's not the latest one out there..

So JFarny if you have 2 partitions then before doing anything you can save all your important Data on the 2nd Partition that doesn't have the OS on, if you do not either you can Burn it on a DVD if you have a burner, if not then you can just simply upload your Data in to an FTP if you have 1 that is..

And now for going back to Win XP Pro, if you have the Windows CD just insert it and boot it up, now before installing XP make sure you Format the Partition you have installed Vista on Do "not" Quick format, Use regular NTFS Format, after that install back XP on the Same Partition..

After you have done all that you run your OS and you will have all your important Data on your 2nd Partition which you have saved all you Data on.. Simple as that hope this Helps !!

GoodLuck !

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

JeanneBee58 when you have a problem, please start your own thread. The reason for this is that with one problem per thread, it is difficult at best to follow what has/has not been done. With multiple problems per thread, it is impossible.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651099

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice