1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalling XP (MCE) New Hardrive No Product Key

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Airock, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Airock

Airock Thread Starter

I am the original owner of my Gateway desktop. I recently had my main hardrive replaced and found that my OS was downgraded from XP (Media Center Edition) to XP Pro (but system software still indicates MCE Service Pack 2). No MCE functions are working. I wish to reinstall my OEM XP MCE system software but am missing the product key. Remember, new hardrive. How do I reinstall w/o prod. key? I have all the original disks. Thanks.

2. The Hound

The Hound

Welcome to TSG...Your Gateway should have the original Windows MCE Certificate of Authenticity (with the original product key) stuck right to the case. That key goes with that motherboard, NIC, MAC Address, and other hardware installed.

If the HDD is a warranty replacement, you can also call Gateway and tell them of the error-they would probably DHL you another replacement drive with the correct software load and an apology.

3. Airock

Airock Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. The computer is almost 4 years old. Gateway failed to include the O/S disc so I went down to the local Gateway retailer (when they existed in local stores) and they gave me an MCE o/s disc. Never needed it until now. Disc has no cert. no.'s, etc. A friend upgrade my computer to MCE 2005 (from orignal version) a year ago. All he had was the blue disc Gateway gave me and his 2-disc set of MCE 2005. Now that my hardrive has been replaced (technician "ghosted" my main hardrive during the process), my computer has been "downgraded" to XP Pro (no MCE) but some investigation of my system software indicates MCE, svs. pack 2. Presently no more MCE functionality, but all else appears to be working well. My goal is to reinstall MCE 2005 (using supplied 2 discs) and, hopefully, obtain full functionality. Thanks.

4. The Hound

The Hound

I don't think we can help you get around the no key/non-original O/S issue here. TSG rules don't allow hacks, cracks, or sideways engineering toward that end...a call to Gateway might (or might not) get a key-I don't think you'll get any help from Microsoft on an OEM version--twice removed .

Sorry.

>>EDIT: I could be wrong about this...it's happened before.

5. Airock

Airock Thread Starter

Thanks, again. The sad thing is that it's all on the up-and-up... nothing illegal. Paid for everything from the OEM... sad. See you around the community.

6. The Hound

The Hound

I don't doubt for a minute...Make the call to Gateway--customer care, not tech support. They should know the story of the now defunct Gateway Country Stores (and other Gateway retail follies...)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/607148

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice