1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reinstalling xp pro from xp home

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by oscarg, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oscarg

oscarg Thread Starter

Im getting error

WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM

the current system is xp home

ive read a couple of ways to fix it but i just want to reinstall windows xp pro, if i insert the xp pro cd nothing will happen, it will keep asking me for the xp home i dont have it. how can i reboot or get the computer to start the xp pro install?

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

Don't know what you are trying to put it on. The process involves inserting disc, restarting, and pressing {X} after beep to get into BIOS and then setting optical drive to boot first. Or pressing {Y} to get a boot menu and choosing the CD Drive to boot off of. X and Y vary depending on manufacturer. Delete and F1 are common keys for X.

3. jsarinana

jsarinana

I asume you want to install Pro over your Home version. If so keep in mind you lose all data and apps.
    After you install by booting from CD. Check your device manger in Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware-Device Manager. You do not want any "!" showing up, if so you ned to install appropirate driver(s) also go to M.S. Updates and install all critical updates.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice