Reinstalling XP Q's: New PIB, used mobo, and hd off old combo

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tag444

It's a dumb question I'm asking since I should know the answer but here's the setup:

I have a new Sempron 2800+ to be installed on a used GA-7N400 board. My previous combo was an Athlon XP 1700+(Palomino) on a GA-7VT600. Anyways, my question is I know I will & should reinstall windows to update instruction sets, chipsets, drivers etc... for the new processor but since my old stuff died I have no way of accessing the hard drive anymore and wanted to know if/how to save that data when I reinstall windows. Will there be an option for protecting written data and only re-writing necessary components. I've never had to reinstall XP on anything and usually tossing in the disk for quick repairs on an older OS did the trick. All help and tips appreciated. Also would anybody recommend upgrading the cpu fan from what comes in the box and will it void/null my 3 year warranty?

dustyjay

Jay
your Warranty as stated usually is that a CPU Fan and heatsink must be purchase on the same purchase order, How ever you did that, As long as the HSF unit is approved for use with your processor it should leave your Warranty in tact.

dustyjay

Jay
you could try doing a repair installation of XP. This will act like a new install to a point but leave your files and settings in tact. It just might do the trick for you.

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Hope this helps you

tag444

Thanks for the replies. I'll use the stuff that came with the processor to not void the warranty. I will try that with the xp disk and hope it works. There is a lot of information that was just days from being backed up as usual. I'll be crossing my fingers and let you know how it comes out.

-Thanks, Tag.

I would say there is a 50:50 chance that your XP will take care of itself by rejusting everything itself then demanding you to re-activate with MS within a set period (doing it with an installation will have the same end result). Based on my experience you should have at least 3 days garce period. XP has a counter for every hardware change. When the counter exceeds a threshold it will demand a re-activation. Usually the change of a CPU plus a network card are enough to trigger it.

So it pays to switch on and see how it go. Think I never had a instant lock-up by XP this way but please do have a good reason when talking to MS. The Internet activation should not work in your case and a telephone call is unavoidable.

I have to give credit to M$ that they are friendly and helpful. They never turn me down.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online