1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstalling XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cheese, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cheese

cheese Thread Starter

I know there are other posts and all, but i would appreciate it very much if someone could type a step-by-step tutorial on uninstalling XP,and then reinstalling it. My computer isnt running smooth and when i first got it i downloaded and clicked all this junk and clogged it up. So if any1 could do that for me id appreciate it :) Or even if they have a link to a good tutorial on how to do it also

2. Cookies

Cookies

I've started one; but, it's not complete. As time permits I'll work on it but it might take me a bit.

If you've never formatted before, do you have a friend that could help you do it? It can be frustrating the first time or two.

3. Cookies

Cookies

4. cheese

cheese Thread Starter

Its home.... and wats the diff between clean and wat ever other 1 there is?

*EDIT*- 1.How do u uninstall windows XP first? 2.'The preferred method for initiating a clean install of Windows XP is by booting from the XP CD. If the CD drive is not set as the primary boot device it will be necessary to access and modify the BIOS settings. " Whats it mean by that and also, is the XP CD the one that the computer guy gvae me with the XP instruciton manual and stuff? 3.And if that is....then wats the qualifying CD? "The qualifying products are listed on the screen. Replace the XP CD with the qualifying product CD and press Enter' 4. How do you update Ethernet bios?

Sorry 4 all the questions

5. Cookies

Cookies

This should help explain some different ways to format:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=162743

Is restoring an option for you? That may be simpler than formatting. Have you tried it? Start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore/restore my computer to an earlier time/next. Pick a date from the calendar/next and reboot when prompted.

I'm not sure what CD you were given. Does it look like the first one? If so, you can boot to it (meaning you can pop it in and reboot). This will restore your system to the way it was when you first received it; but all of your data will be lost. Address book, favorites, movies, downloaded files, XP patches, mp3's, EVERYTHING.

If your CD looks like the second one, why not try system file checker instead? It'll repair any damaged or corrupt files to their original condition and you get to keep all of your data. If so, Start/run and type in "command" In the black DOS window type in "sfc /scannow" (no quotes). You'll be prompted for your CD. Let it run (takes a bit) and reboot when prompted.

If you choose to format, I strongly encourage you to grab a buddy who's formatted before and ask for some help. Either that, or have someone do it for you.

6. Cookies

Cookies

This is a reinstallation CD.

Attached Files:

7. Cookies

Cookies

Use this with the system file checker.

8. Cookies

Cookies

Sorry happy fingers :)

Attached Files:

9. Flrman1

Flrman1

10. Cookies

Cookies

He's the best no?

11. cheese

cheese Thread Starter

I iwsh i had the first CD, itd be much easier. Looks like im going to have to format. I cant find in the guide that the last guy gave me where it says how. Also ive got a few more questions if u dont mind. 1.) It says "As this is an Upgrade, a previous qualifying product is required to be inserted in the CD drive to continue" Its not an upgrade....so i would just put in the WinXP cd right? 2.) It Says " Hard drive partition information"...i dont get what to do on that? and what size or what? Im a basic user so i dont need anything special. 3.) It says: system to boot from a CD Rom " I dont know how to do that. After all that it should go smooth for me. I hope all my questions dont bug you :) , Just wanna make sure everything goes right.
    EDIT* Also is there a way you can burn all ur drivers on a cd'?
    Sry

12. jah

jah

hi
    i just did my brothers computer he had a recovery cd but that never did anything, i had to format his hard drive he are the 2 ways i was told to try,
    Yo, u need a boot disc because windows won't let u format.
    Go to command prompt, put a spare floppy in the floppy drive and type this:
    format a:/s
    That will create a bootable folppy disc. Then type this:
    copy c:/windows/system32/format.exe a:
    Then restart the computer with the floppy still inside.
    Then, it should say a:>, if it doesnt then type a:
    Then type format.exe

I am pritty sure it will work. Don't forget that format will wipe the whole hard disc clean, and every single file on the computer will be lost.

You don't need boot disks to format with XP (unless you have some ancient CD-rom). Go into the BIOS and set the CD-rom as the first boot device, then reboot with your XP disc in the drive. You should be offered the choice to reformat any of your existing partitions and reinstall Windows.

You could get a copy of PowerMax and check the fitness of your drive and do a LL format if you want a completely wiped drive to start with (it works with most HD's).

13. Cookies

Cookies

Read and look at the screenshots here:

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPHome/installxphome1.htm

The partition size depends on how many you want and how big your hard drive is. I have a small one on this PC -- 40 gig with 3 partitions. One for my operating system, another for pdf's and documents and a third for software and other stuff.

You'll need to choose FAT or NTFS. I'd suggest NTFS. But, it's a personal choice really.

14. cheese

cheese Thread Starter

Hey,

How do i get into BIOS and switch that? Also, when i got cable internet installed i couldent get Ethernet version at first cuz i needed my drivers updated. So my comp friend (outa state for a month) updated the drivers for the ethernet but im not sure how.
    Hopefully i will not have any more questions :) I will be printing out all this and thank you all for your help!

15. Cookies

Cookies

I don't know that you'll be required to touch the BIOS.

Make sure you backup first, and don't forget your drivers. You can grab your ethernet driver from the backup that you create.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171417

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice