1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reinstallling Windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cheetahman, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cheetahman

cheetahman Thread Starter

If I reinstall Windows XP Home am I going to have to reput in my serial key if the computer came with Windows XP preinstalled on it.This is a Dell Inspiron 2650 Laptop also I dualboot with Fedora Core 4 will windows become one partition instead of 3

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

If you use a Dell reinstallation disc to install on a Dell . . it will not usually ask for Product Code and will not ususally have to be activated . .

You will have a chance to delete and recreate partitions early in the install process.

This is a great guide for reinstalling on a Dell: http://www.djdenham.com/Install Procedures.htm

3. cheetahman

Also should I run fixmbr before I do this

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Nope . . After you delete and recreate partition (s), when you get to the format options, choose NTSF and not the Quick Option . . then it will proceed to the installation.

5. cheetahman

What I mean is reinstall it without removing GRUB and format it as NTFS and why not the quick option

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

The "not quick" option will check the disc for errors . . it takes a little longer, but will keep any disc errors from triping the installation. I usually only do a quick format on a new disc . . and not always then.

7. cheetahman

So Full and how long will that take my hardrive is about 30GB

8. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    You could be looking at 30-45 minutes, but to reduce possible Windows errors during or after setup, it is worth it.

9. cheetahman

Also I would like to know if it touches my dell bios partition

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice