1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reliable Remote Technical Support

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Eleyisms, Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Eleyisms

Eleyisms Thread Starter

For years we have had a contract with Premium Technical Support to keep our household computers up and running smoothly. Our contract has expired and, instead of renewing for $280/yr, we are looking for other options. As we are relative tech idiots, having someone take over remotely and tune it up was fabulous. Suggestions, please.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Has there been a huge increase in the price
    I'm UK based, so not able to comment on your country (by the way, which country are you in)
    what support are you looking for?
    what did you get for the money?
    Obviously the level of service will vary considerably and hence the price.

3. Eleyisms

Eleyisms Thread Starter

In the US. The price seems to have gone up considerably, but our other concern is a possible scam through them.
    They would call every few weeks and remotely scrub (?) our computers. If a new security threat popped up, they would call, also.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I'm unable to comment on the US support services , as i'm in UK
    it does sound like there are "over" maintaining , but that depends on the service agreement and was "all that work" included in the price
    or charged for every session ?

5. EspressoBean

EspressoBean

Honestly speaking you may want to see if you have any local computer repairs shops and see how much they on average charge or whatever their most reported issues are and what they cost to repair. A lot of maintenance can be just done even by the most novice of users. Maintaining a current antivirus program (free ones of Avira or Bit Defender would suffice), a free firewall. If something goes wrong you can have the local repair shop take a look at it then since most likely it will a hardware issue.

6. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

be wary of companies offering remote services. i get some of my work through internet job boards and there are some that i refuse to work with as they have predatory practices. i offer remote services but due to ethical concerns and the terms of this website i cannot approach you or advertise, and the main reason i even have an account here is to give back to the community somewhat, as i get help sometimes also. you would be best off to shop around locally, either through professional service boards or local companies.

7. RolandJS

RolandJS

I think, here in the US, free technical support by remote access is problematic. And I have no real idea for other continents and countries. I think an earlier poster definitely asked very good questions -- in short, Eleyisms, what are the services you are wanting via remote access?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!