1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reliable SATA hard drive power cable recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hyperinfinity, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hyperinfinity

hyperinfinity Thread Starter

Hi, I'm looking for a reliable power cable for a SATA hard drive, which one(s) would you recommend?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I am not understanding what you are asking.
    This is part of the pw supply. Are you asking what brand of pw supply is reliable?

3. hyperinfinity

No, I'm asking about the cable that supplies power to the SATA drive.

4. replay

replay

that cable and sata connector is ATTACHED to the power supply

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

So we can be sure, which one are you referring to?

Attached Files:

• G_74.jpg
      G_74.jpg
      File size:
      22.9 KB
      Views:
    • sata.jpg
      sata.jpg
      File size:
      36.5 KB
      Views:
  6. hyperinfinity

The SATA power cable, the one to the left.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is part of the pw supply and not a cable you purchase. Buy a quality pw supply and you are good to go.

Are you by chance asking what brand of pw supply to purchase?

8. hyperinfinity

Now that I think about it, I can remember seeing SATA power cables attached to the power supply that are used to supply power to my PC's hard drive and 2 internal optical drives. I might just use one of the SATA power cables attached to either of the PATA optical drives because those drives are not functioning properly. I think I may have saw one extra SATA power cable as well. Are there any SATA power cable extensions you would recommend? I think the SATA power cables I mentioned are long enough to reach the replacement hard drive I would be cloning my old hard drive to, but I don't know that for a fact. And no, I'm not wondering about what brand of pw supply to purchase.

9. dai

dai

what video card and m/board do you have,they will determine what psu you need

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is not going to work. PATA does not use sata pw connectors; they use a 4pin molex type connector. Either your pw supply has sata connectors or it does not; just look.

You can use an adapter to adapt 4pin molex to sata however if the pw supply is that old, I would just replace it with a modern unit.

11. hyperinfinity

I actually wasn't asking about a psu.

12. hyperinfinity

I think I can remember the cables I mentioned looking different then SATA power connectors, so most likely they do use a 4pin molex type connector. I'll have to look again to make sure, but I know they looked different then SATA pw connectors. Are there any 4pin molex to sata cables you would recommend?

13. dai

dai

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What you are not understanding is the fact that if your pw supply does not have sata connectors, it is very old. Even high end pw supplies have a useful life of 5yrs or so. Continuing to use a component long past its useful life is asking for a problem. As I said either your pw supply has the correct connectors or it does not; simply look. If it does not have the correct connectors, then you can either use an adapter and hope your old pw supply does not fail OR you can replace it with a modern unit and know it is not going to fail; up to you.

15. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    hyperinfinity:

Is this thread associated with your other active thread?

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/1094596-western-digital-black-250gb-vs.html

--------------------------------------------------------

Assuming it's a factory brand one, can you advise us what the brand name and model name and model number of that desktop is?

---------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1094375

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice