1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reloaded XP - cannot play DVD movies

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by vegastech, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vegastech

vegastech Thread Starter

Had to reload XP. Now I can't play a DVD move - a compatible dvd decoder is not installed.
    When I ask for web help, it prompts me to buy a mpeg-2 decoder ( Cineplayer, Corel, Cyberlink, or Nvidia for XP).

Do I need to buy one? Is there a free decoder to download? If I have to buy one, is one better than the other? I don't think any of these were on the pc before I reinstalled.

I'm not very techie, so any help would be appreciated.

2. fel1x

fel1x

3. stantley

stantley

4. vegastech

vegastech Thread Starter

Downloaded videolan and that works - thanks, fel1x.

Stantley, I installed the codec you linked too and now WMP plays the DVD, but it is a little quirky. It is a rental dvd, and between each preview, it gets scrambled for a few seconds, and then plays the next clip. One of the previews would not show any video, just sound. The actual movie appears to be playing now.

You stated that it's better to only install the codecs you need rather than the whole pack. Not being a techie at all, how do I know what codecs I need? Since the one I installed works (but have some issues), is there a better one???

5. fel1x

fel1x

well thats why us non distinguised members install entire pack as per my link, when i am distinguised i hope by then i will know what to install instead of scattergun approach!! cheers

6. stantley

stantley

See if this one works any better for you: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Stinky_MPEG_2_Codec.htm

If you were able to play DVD's prior to reinstalling XP you might have had some other DVD player installed like Cyberlink, which installs a DVD decoder that WMP can also use. Do you recall any other DVD programs that you might have had installed?

fel1x's suggestion of using VLC player is also a good idea. That player will play just about any format and includes all of it's own codecs.

7. vegastech

vegastech Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll try the 2nd codecs link. I didn't have another player that I can recall - just whatever was included in the original OS install from Dell.

Thanks for your help, stantley & fel1x.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Windows Media Player 11 plays DVD movies fine for me with K-Lite Codec Pack Full. (y)

Start the install, then select "Default (without player)", then select "Windows Media Player", then load all the video and audio codecs.

----------------------------------------------------------------

9. stantley

stantley

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!