1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reloading Config.sys

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by nathan52981, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nathan52981

nathan52981 Thread Starter

I am running windows 98, and the other day i was on the net checking my email and my computer started acting up. I rebooted and when windows restarted i couldnt oper up my documents or any other shortcut without opening my computer first. Also everytime i tried to change any kind of settings the program that i was working in would crash. I later found that under msconfig the config.sys tab has nothing under it anymore. Is there anyway to reload just the config.sys.

Any help is much appreciated

2. beach51

beach51

Hi nathan,Have you run a virus scan?If this problem just started as you where reading your email,thats the first thing i would check.If you dont have a virus program you can run this online scan,which is very good.

http://www.housecall.antivirus.com

Let us know if it finds anything.

3. nathan52981

i am sorry i forget to mention i did find a total of 8 viruses in the temporary internet file. and i did get rid of them, my mcaffe antivirus didnt catch them.

4. beach51

beach51

Ok.Lets try this.Go to Start>Shutdown>Restart in Ms-Dos>at the c:\prompt type

scanreg /restore (notice the space between the g and /.

Now pick a date prior to this happening,if its been more then 4 days ago this wont work.

Let us know if this helps.

5. nathan52981

nope, didnt work.

thanks though

6. beach51

beach51

Ok,lets try this.Go to Start>Fine>files and folders>type in config.bak,click find.See if you still have the files on your hard drive.

7. nathan52981

no i didnt find it but i did fix the problem. The owner told me to just go ahead and clear the drive and reloaded windows. Thaks everybody for all of your help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice