1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reloading operating system from dos

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bluebeard, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bluebeard

bluebeard Thread Starter

Hello,
    i've got a toshiba 1555cds. recently i lost use of my cdrom drive. I decided as a last resort to clear my system entirely with a little program called DBAN which destroys all data. I've used this before to be certain that all adware viruses etc are clear before reconfiging the system. It worked fine. When I'd restart the computer it would simply ask me to put in a disk and I'd insert the "reconfiguration" cd that came with the computer and reload everything. This time I had to start/esc and then F1 to get to the boot screen to chose the cdrom start. Shut down and restarted and heard the cdrom drive spinning up (finally) but now I'm at the DOS command screen with the promt A:\>
    I've looked everywhere for information that might show me what to type to get the reconfig disc to spin up and start loading win98. I'm really stumped here. Any advice would be very appreciated.
    thanks

2. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

What is a Win98 "reconfigure" cd? If you've used a program that, for all intents and purposes, formatted your drive you are going to need a Win 98 cd to reinstall windows. So, I hope that your "reconfigure" cd is more than just some kind of rescue disk you were given with your machine cause if it is then you won't be able to reinstall windows. But, I just do not really understand the terminology you are using. What do you mean by reconfiging the system? A:\> means you are in your floppy drive. If you want to change drives, at the A:\> prompt type C: (for the main drive on your disk) or D: (for your cd drive) or A: (for your floppy drive). Once you are in the drive you want you can type DIR to see the contents of that drive. But you originally said you lost the use of your cd drive recently. Are you sure your cd drive is working? Post back with other questions/details.

3. bluebeard

bluebeard Thread Starter

maritimesea - thank you for getting back to me. I think the damn thing cured itself shortly after I posted. And I've been working at this thing for three weeks. The cdrom drive must simply be dropping out on me without warning. I could not get it to do anything no matter what I tried altho everything else worked fine with the computer. I was hoping it was more soft than hardware related so I decided to nuke the harddrive and start over. That left me with no operating system and no cdrom to install it. So I finally registered here for some advice. After posting my question I brought the laptop upstairs next to my functioning one that is online and as soon as I plugged it in, it went and asked me to press F1 to continue and then C to start reloading the operating system off of the cdrom. The cd I'm using is a "Configuration Builder CD Satellite 1555cds Series" that came with the laptop. Maybe it just hates the basement? I guess I'll just cross my fingers that it continues apace till the finish and I'll never mess with it again.
    Thanks for getting back to me.

4. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

Oh, well that's cool then, gotta love machines that "Auto repair".

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328302

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice