1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reloading Windows 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by brianmoss, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brianmoss

brianmoss Thread Starter

I had to reformat my hard drive. I originally had Windows 95 and purchased the upgrade for 98. Now when I reinstall 98 from the
    upgrade CD the product key # will not allow me to start windows. I do not have the 95 CD. Any suggestions?

2. $teve

$teve

hi brian..........so your saying you bought a ligit 98 cd and the key-code wont work?
    are you sure? i know this sounds lame but.........it is case sensitive i think,make sure your caps lock is off.

3. kknla

kknla

Being an upgrade cd, it sounds like it is looking for the original windows 95 cd key. I think thats how they usually work.

4. slipe

slipe

Start>Run, type regedit and enter. Go to Edit>Find and type ProductKey and select Find Next. I’m not sure what system you are actually using right now, but the old product key might be there if you haven’t entered a new one.

5. Rachelsconfused

Rachelsconfused

I dont know much about computers but.. If you still can't figure out whats going on this is what I did when I lost my key code. I called Microsoft they have an 800 # all i did was tell them i lost i they didnt charge me they just give you a key code :) i dont know the number any more but if i can find it ill come back and post it ok..
    you can also go to this WIN98 SUPPORT CENTER

6. gshuster

gshuster

If I am not mistaken, your win98 cd key should not have changed, but you would be asked for your original win95 cd to verify you have it as you are installing an upgrade, not a full version. Borrow somebody else's win95 full version CD, (and I'd copy it for posterity in case this happens to you again). Win98 doesn't care what the old win95 cd key was, only that you have the previous version to suit the upgrade to win98.

All it is looking for is a file on the cd to verify it is a win95 full version. If you still had win95 on the hard drive, it would find the file & ask you.

Damned if I can remember what the file was, or I wud send it to you & you cud put it in your windows directory & away you go.

Do a search on the internet, I know that info is out there.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66377

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice