1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remember Spybot?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by ACA529, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Does anyone still use this application? :D

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  3. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

I remember the days of Ad-Aware SE and SpyBot. :p

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Yep. McAfee and Norton were the "big 2" for combating viruses. Ad-Aware and Spybot were the "big 2" for combating malware/spyware. Time changes things.

------------------------------------------------------

5. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Me too! Forgot about Ad-Aware SE. :D

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  7. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Yep, I still routinely use Spybot S&D, though I have reservations about it. I don't like the System Protection/Tea Timer component, and it is increasingly in need of a major overhaul; it will still pick up some malware that other programs miss, and I think the Immunize feature is still the best Hosts file source.

Nevertheless, I have to say that using the Hosts file to block malware and a detection methodology based almost exclusively on signatures are increasingly ineffectual technologies, and without significant change, Spybot will soon be irrelevant. I think AdAware passed that point a long time ago, and while SuperAntiSpyware, has on occasion outperformed MBAM on some specific bugs, I think it's most definitely a second tier product.

8. hewee

hewee

Remember we all ran CWShredder too back then.

The Prevx seem to be a big clean up tool here back some time ago.
    I even won 2 TWO license keys from them that I have not even used.
    That was 3/2007 I won them so wonder if they are still good?

9. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Wow! Hadn't thought about CWShredder in forever! How about Smitrem and Smitfraudfix? Holy cow! The wave of nostalgia I just experienced was so intense my dentures fell out! I have an occasional disagreement with a couple of associates about the usefulness of Prevx, but I think it's become a mostly useless product that expends more effort on self-promotion than product design. Last time I checked, PCMag's Neil J. Rubenking liked it, so that's an automatic two strikes in my book.

10. hewee

hewee

I never used Smitrem and Smitfraudfix. I remember I really got into CWShredder for some time there because it was always finding bad things to delete on my PC. Then I won WinPatrol Plus and started using it and then I found out CWShredder was only find links in my hosts and deleting links out of the hosts file. It keep finding things to delete only because I keep updating the hosts file. Spybot was also deleting from the hosts file.
    I did a report CWShredder and Spybot deleting from the hosts file a long time ago that I think is here or at Calendar of Updates.
    Prevx seem to be a big thing here on help others clean the PC back when I won it but I had older PC with 98 still and then 2008 got new XP Pro and installed the SUPERAntiSpyware Professional I also won. Ad-Aware was nothing but trouble after 2007 and did not like how Spybot had changed either.
    SUPERAntiSpyware Professional and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware seen to have held out doing a good job for a long time and I think will stay that way for some time also.
    The newer SUPERAntiSpyware Professional version 5 has ticked me off on the real time protection where I go to install something and it pops up as if I got some and Quarantin the installer. Guess the type of installer and how it unpacks makes SUPERAntiSpyware think it's bad. Wish it pop up asking what to do first because it acts fast but needs to ask so I can it's OK.

11. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Hahaha CWShredder! Remember About:Buster?

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Spam :rolleyes:

-------------------------------------------------------

13. Larusso

Larusso

E-scan was very popular in the german area.

Did I see it right that Ad Aware is now an Anti Virus :eek:

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Yep.

http://www.lavasoft.com/

--------------------------------------------------------

15. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Well, an AV of sorts anyway. They boast a VB100 Award from Virus Bulletin for Ad-Aware Pro (August 2010), but they've only had a single pass out of 3 submissions. It was last tested in December of 2010, and got a fail, and Virus Bulletin's Reactive/Proactive averaged rating for Ad-Aware Pro was only 82.1%. Interestingly, Lavasoft's Total Security package has done much better, "only" failing the VB100 test twice in four submissions (it also failed in December 2010) and it has a respectable RAP rating of 97% as of Dec. 2010. Of course, it was not Total Security that got the PC Mag Editor's Choice Award in December of 2010, but rather Ad-Aware Pro. Even Rubenking admits that the product hasn't done well in VB100 testing and goes on to admit that AV-Comparatives, ICSA Labs, and West Coast Labs haven't tested the software because Lavasoft "doesn't participate" in those testing programs.

Clearly not all of Lavasoft's security products are created equal, and anyone considering their software needs to be aware of the performance differences. As always, I think any prospective user should spend some time in independent research, and in particular examine the methodology in any testing or reviews.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!