1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

remembering the password in explorer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by snooker, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snooker

snooker Thread Starter

Hi.... I have a new HP computer and i notice that when i
    go on sites that require user names and passwords i
    always click to remember them but once i try going back
    to those sites it never remember the password ... Now i
    did go into Autocomplete section there and made sure that
    all the boxes are check off ... I close the explorer, i
    start it up again and notice the same problem
    again ...Also i notice i always have to check the prompt
    me for my password box it never stay on ... Help ???
    Thanks

2. mcse72

mcse72

Do you have any IE history washer programs like Window Washer or History Kill running? If so, see if it saves your passwords without the program running.
    Also, and this is a stretch, but if you set yourself up as a user go into the Documents & settings folder, go into your profile and see if the NTUSER file has a .dat extenstion not a .man. If it has a .man extention it needs to be changed to .dat to unlock your profile to save any changes you make.

3. snooker

snooker Thread Starter

Would those software come install with IE because i didn't download any of them??? .... This computer is just a few days old

4. mcse72

mcse72

No these programs don't usually come preinstalled on new computers.... Try going to Tools->Internet Options and check under the privacy tab. What security setting do you have? Try sliding the bar down to "accept all cookies" and go back to that site and see if it keeps your password setting. It is not recomended you leave it on this setting though, 'Medium' security is the default.

5. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

Some websites have scripts that do not allow a password to be remembered. My bank website is an example of this and it is obvious for security reasons that this is a good thing.

However, my password is remembered for this site and this is done through cookies. If you can't get IE to remember the password for this site, we will have to go through some troubleshooting.

6. snooker

snooker Thread Starter

Hi ... it doesn't matter what site i go on it wouldn't remember the password and i also notice everytime i look in the autocomplete section there the box which say ( prompt me to save passwords )is always uncheck even after i check it ... I mean i put a check mark in that box close IE ... go surf again with IE and look in the autocomplete to see if its still check and it ain't

7. Dan O

Dan O

Is the PC a company PC, as a Windows policy from the IT group has total control of your PC and for security reasons choose you cannot save passwords.

8. snooker

snooker Thread Starter

No Its a brand new computer for my personal use and its a HP... ( Hewlett Packard )

9. Dan O

Dan O

Then that is sure strange.

I recommend you try a Repair of IE.

Go into the Control Panel and Add/Remove Programs and select Internet Explorer and select Repair.

10. Jtoast

Jtoast

Have you possibly set your pc to "never look for newer versions of stored pages"?

to check bring up your browser and go to tools, internet options, settings, and select automatically, apply, ok.

11. snooker

snooker Thread Starter

Hi ... I check it out and its set at auto too.. Does anybody else have anymore suggestion plz ???

12. Del

Del

Is it Win 2000 or Win XP?
    It was like that from day one??

13. snooker

snooker Thread Starter

Hi ... Yes from day one its only a week old ... ( windows xp home )

14. Del

Del

Did you try to lower the privacy settings someone suggested earlier? I don't see a response to that.

15. snooker

snooker Thread Starter

I did try the privacy setting too and i even try going on microsoft help and support website to ask them for help and its been now since saturday without a respone from then too i'm guessing they are stuck wondering what could cause it too...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!