1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Reminder" pop-up What is it?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by munchie17, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. munchie17

munchie17 Thread Starter

Hi,
    Last night for no reason, a page appeared (not full screen) that had the typical "this page unavailable etc". And at the top it said "Reminder (and the exact time and date)"
    I cannot right click to see properties. I can't get rid of it except with the "end task". It appears online or offline. It comes back twice an hour at exactly the same times.

I have run a virus scan, installed ad-aware, spybot and it is still coming up. I also disabled windows messenger.

What could this be? I don't know if it is a XP, IE or HP problem?

I am running windowsXP, IE6
    I just got the pc about a month ago.
    Help!!!!!
    Thank you
    Kathy :confused:

2. Sequal7

Sequal7

Could be a reminder from HP for something (updates, driver, registration), and the page is not available form server or has been deleted from your local computer. Click ctl alt del and see what is running before and as it happens, comapre them and see what is listed.

Also, you can run hijackthis and see if there is a strange item in that running

3. munchie17

munchie17 Thread Starter

Wouldn't adaware or spybot catch something strange? I have checked the end task thing and nothing shows up except the normal stuff that I am working on (email, browser). I hope it just goes away by itself after it thinks it has reminded me long enough :D

It is most annoying, especially for a new pc. Well, I'll see if it is still there when I get up in the morning.

4. munchie17

munchie17 Thread Starter

It is still there right on time!
    What can this be?

5. scoutt

scoutt

what is the address of the page? if is is unavailable then it still has to show a page address.

6. munchie17

munchie17 Thread Starter

There isn't an address anywhere. Just the reminder at the top.

7. scoutt

scoutt

can you take a screen print please?

8. munchie17

munchie17 Thread Starter

How do I do that?

9. scoutt

scoutt

when you get tha tpopup again jsut hit your print screen button.

it is usually by the number pad on the right hand side of the keyboard towards the top. after you hit that then just open your favorite graphic program or I beleive paint will do it, then save it on your hard drive and then you can upload here to us.

in your reply you will see a browse button that will let you browse for that file so it can upload it here.

10. munchie17

munchie17 Thread Starter

wow, I didn't know that was possible. I never used that button before. Here it is:
    (page from earlier.)

Attached Files:

11. munchie17

munchie17 Thread Starter

I hope that was clear enough? It was too large of a file to send, so I had to make it smaller.

12. scoutt

scoutt

looks to me that it might be something trying to connect to the internet but not finding the site. wierd as it has a title on that page but no page. could it be a site you goto? does it do it when you are not on the net? if you unplugged your modem will it still popup? this will tell us if it is the net or your computer.

hmm this is a wierd one.

try deleting all your temporary internet files and cookies. might be a javascript bug too.

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think this is a time to install a firewall like the free ZoneAlarm and configure it to block everything. When you boot, it'll come up and tell you what applications is attempting to connect and ask what you want to do.

14. munchie17

munchie17 Thread Starter

Ok, first I will disconnect the modem. It is due to pop up again at 41 past the hour. Yes, it comes up even when I am not online.

getting offline now for awhile.

15. BillC

BillC

It reminds me of a trojan that is trying to phone home, but got the wrong number! Do as JohnWill suggested and install ZoneAlarm firewall and it will alert you when something is trying to get out. Then you can identify just what is calling home.

You can get ZoneAlarm free here.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164177

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice