1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

remote access advice

Discussion in 'Networking' started by raichlea, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raichlea

raichlea Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    I am trying to come up with a system where users can remotely access and save data to an excel spreadsheet. I am torn between the options and I was hoping someone could offer some advice. The ones I was thinking about are Remote Desktop, Terminal Services, and VNC. I have already ruled out ftp access. What I am curious about is which ones are most efficent and secure. At least one of the computers that will have to connect to it will be through dial-up so low bandwidth usuage is very important.
    The file in question will be about 100 MB
    The server computer is a windows xp pro box
    Thanks in advance.

2. cw215

cw215

I recommend the remote desktop, because all the user needs is a Internet VPN connection to the server.

Christopher C. Welber
    215 West 11th Street
    New York, NY 10014
    (646) 241-4180
    [email protected]
    www.aconstantstate.com - band site

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I thought remote desktop and VPN were two different things?

Remote Desktop was where you take over another person's computer.

VPN is where you see a remote computer like it is on your local network and can map drives to it. VPN is pretty slow, especially over a dial up connection.

At least with remote access software like VNC, you are only transmitting the screen display over the Internet. Trying to access a 100 MB file over a dial up with VPN would probably be quite slow.

4. cw215

cw215

They are do different things. The server software has built in VPN capability over most popular VPN protocols, then once you in remote desktop allows you to access the server or any XP Pro station on the network, I can't confirm whether it just sends the screens, but I find the speed acceptible.

Terminal Server differently works good over a dial-up line, I was using it a few weekends ago and it worked like a champ.

Hope this helps.

Christopher C. Welber
    Consultant
    215 West 11th Street
    new York, NY 10014
    (646) 241-4180

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

cw215,

Since they are different, then I guess I'm a bit confused by "I recommend the remote desktop, because all the user needs is a Internet VPN connection to the server."

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice