1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Access advice

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rdkapp, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdkapp

rdkapp Thread Starter

Today, I was at a remote business location that provides wireless networking to its clients/business associates. There were at least 5 others there with me that had laptop computers with wireless adapters. All of us could see the wireless network in our available wireless networks window and it indicated that the network was "Automatic" and the signal strength was strong. The network was unsecured and open, so there should not have been a problem connecting. However, only one of us could actually connect to the wireless network. Every time we tried to connect, it would attempt but never made a successful connection. In order to see if there was something interfering with the connection in the room we were in, I went in the room with the wireless router, but got the same result. I also asked if there was some security or something special we needed to do to connect and was told that it was maintained as unsecured for our use.

Can anyone tell me what the problem could be? I will be going back to that location on occasion and would like to be able to remedy the situation. My guess is that it is some setting on our computers, but I don't know what. By the way, I have Win XP Home (with SP2) and I believe all of the others had a version of XP. Thanks in advance.

2. blin

blin

this may help. quoted from http://www.howtonetworking.com/wireless.htm

How to fix wireless connection issues

1. Make sure all wireless devices are using the same mode, infrastructure in the most cases.
    2. Make sure all wireless devices have the same SSID.
    3. Make sure all wireless devices have the same WEP encryption settings if you have enabled them.
    4. Make sure you have added the wireless MAC into MAC Address Control if you enable it.
    5. Use ipconfig and ping to test the connection. All wireless devices must be in the same IP range.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329190

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice