1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Peacock, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peacock

Peacock Thread Starter

I had a worm a few days ago and deleted some RPC keys from my registry. I'm running XP Pro. I did this on both my desktop and my laptop. I need to confess to something; when I was cleaning up the desktop machine, instead of deleting the phony svchost and dllhost from \system32\wins, I deleted the legitimate ones from \system32\ and then had to pull files from the laptop to replace dllhost and svchost in \system32\ because XP wouldn't let me restore the legitimate ones.

Now, the desktop is having some trouble. I'm having problems with MSN and establishing a dial-up connection. The issue? My Remote Access Connection Manager. When I go Computer Management and look in Services, I can't even manually start the RACM. I get the following error:
    "Error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start."

Any ideas on how I can rectify this? And yes, my virus protection is now up to date.

Thanks,
    Lisa

2. mobo

mobo

3. Peacock

Peacock Thread Starter

Want to know what it was? I ran a repair on XP a few days ago and forgot to reinstall the service pack. There were some things in the registry that get buggy if service pack 1 isn't installed. I deleted them, reinstalled the service pack, and now I write to you from the desktop machine.

Thank you!
    Lisa

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!