1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Access/Control Software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by alan222, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alan222

alan222 Thread Starter

Hello,

I am looking for software (hopefully free) that will allow me to remotely access and use my mother's computer. She calls every day for tech support and it is driving me insane.

Is there software that will allow me to access her computer from my computer? We both have windows-based laptops, although different versions of windows if that matters?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    use teamviewer
    https://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

She will have to install the program , but its quite straight forward
    and then you can connect - you also setup for remote connection - But a lot of scammers use this program and you need to make sure if anyone rings on the phone from windows , that she does not allow them access

3. alan222

alan222 Thread Starter

Thanks... it looks like I only need to install the software on my computer, not hers, or am I misunderstanding?

On their website, it says, "Remote Support – no need for any installation on the client side"

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Alan:

You need to install TeamViewer full version in your computer.
    (See first image)

Your mother (or someone else) needs to download and save TeamViewer QuickSupport on her desktop.
    (See second iamge)

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows.aspx

Once that's done and you both have your computers turned on, both of you need to load its main window.

You enter her ID and then enter her password.

If all goes well, her desktop will appear on your computer so you can remote-access it.

I have a "computer-illiterate" friend who lives about 3 miles from me, so it gets used on a regular basis and saves me from having to drive there.

Attached Files:

5. alan222

alan222 Thread Starter

Thank you!

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    (y)

7. alan222

alan222 Thread Starter

Update and question: I have installed and used TeamViewer, and it worked very well.

My question: Is there a way to connect to my mother’s computer without my mother having to download and run the TeamViewer .exe file on her computer every time I need to connect to her computer? Is there a way to perhaps permanently save TeamViewer on her computer, and perhaps have her use the SAME user id and password every time? Or, is there no way to avoid her having to use a different id and pw every time?

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    as i posted in #2
    the only thing that will change is the password

have a look at the unattended access connection,

9. alan222

alan222 Thread Starter

Gotcha, so it seems using the TeamViewer QuickSupport option is the more secure option, although the less efficient option.

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i dont think its security - the quicksupport does not require installation on the PC
    otherwise its pretty much the same

11. alan222

alan222 Thread Starter

I thought perhaps each time the QS was run it would render both a different user id and pw. But if the user id is the same each time the QS is run, then it is no more secure than installing the full version.

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    no, it uses the same user ID

It is a Quick version as all you need to do is run the program and it does not install - so a little quicker
    and a simpler interface

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    :) (y)

Once TeamViewer Quick Support is downloaded and saved on her desktop, there's no need for her to download and save it again.
    All she has to do is double-click it to load its window, then give you the password that appears.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

14. alan222

alan222 Thread Starter

Excellent - thanks, again

15. alan222

alan222 Thread Starter

Thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice