1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Access Server error...pls help!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Wkatydid, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wkatydid

Wkatydid Thread Starter

Operating system: Windows XP Home

Thurs. nite, something happened to my computer, where files in \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM were corrupt or missing. This has happened before, so I threw in my Windows disk and "repaired" it.

I immediately ran the Norton Antivirus (which had updated that morning). HijackThis (nothing unusual), Adaware6 and Spybot.

I have not had a problem doing this before. However this time, I cannot get online. The two error messages I've received are:

Remote Access Server Error. A device attached to the system is not functioning.

OR

Remote Access Server Error. The request is not supported.

I uninstalled Compuserve, then reinstalled, but still get the same error messages.

Also, about 14 hrs. after the computer bombed, Nortons found a "virus":

Virus name: Suspicious Script
    Feature: Script Blocking
    Action Taken: Blocked
    Suspicious action: File System Object: GetSpecialFolder

I called my internet server (Compuserve) who told me that I needed to uninstall, then reinstall DUN.

Please help. I'm at a friend's house, as I can't get online, so my responses might take time.....

Thanks,
    Wendy

2. Wkatydid

Wkatydid Thread Starter

If I have to reformat the hard drive, and start from scratch, that would be ok, too. I have the Windows XP Home Edition CD. Just need the best way to do that to restore to the original settings. Computer is only 2 months old, and I do not have anything "vital" that I can't replace.....

Please help!!

3. Wkatydid

Wkatydid Thread Starter

Perhaps I should clearly mention that my modem works fine, that the Remote Access errors occur, AFTER my computer connects to the remote host.

If I have to reformat, repartition and re-install, no biggie about losing any info from the computer.

Can anyone help??

4. Wkatydid

Wkatydid Thread Starter

My computer is "acting up" on an even more frequent basis now.... blue error screens, needing repairs to the WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM files...

I even got 3 "blue screens" during one repair operation. I'm thinking that at this point it might be "best" ? to go ahead and reformat, repartition, re-install, if someone can explain the best, safest way to do it?? please....

Also, during every repair I've had to do, it asks for the file "VIAAGP1.SYS", which doesn't seem to be on the CD that I have for the VIA Motherboard. If I download this driver from the internet, "might" that solve the problem instead of totally slicking my computer??

Someone?? Anyone??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!