1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Access Server Setup Error

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by mastersmodo, Mar 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mastersmodo

mastersmodo Thread Starter

I'm setting up a server for the very first time. My short term goal is to be able to set up a small domain at my house. My long term goal to is to become certified with Server 2012. I'm learning from scratch. I've installed Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter. In addition, I want to be able to remote into it to work on it while I'm away. I've installed Active Directory, DNS and promoted it to a domain controller. I'm currently able to access the internet and doing so wirelessly. I'm in the middle of setting up remote access.

I chose deploy both DirectAccess and VPN because it says recommended. I then chose "behind and edge device (with a single edge adapter.) I'm only behind a router. I type in my ip address: I got from going to google and typing, "What's my IP address?" When I press next, I get an error stating, "An internal adapter with a valid IP address, IPv6 enabled, DNS settings and a domain profile cannot be located." I can't figure out how to resolve this.

Some more info.

I'm behind a TWC modem for a residential account. TWC does not allow a static IP on a residential account. So, I know once I get it working, I will end of losing connection one day out of the blue when my IP address changes. It doesn't happen often.

It's a Ubee modem.

I'm pretty sure I need to have a static address for my server. My router currently has me at 192.168.0.7. So, I used that in the ipv4 properties. I used 255.255.255.0 as the mask and then 192.168.0.1 as the default gateway.

I added something that was suggested and had limited internet again. I ran the troubleshooter and it defaulted me back to the router assigning the IP automagically. However, either way I was getting the same error.

I know at some time I'll need to port forward, which I have a vague understanding off but I have not done that yet.

I saw somewhere online earlier that TWC may NAT the addresses they give us. I don't know if that's true or matters.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Just let me know what other information you need that can help. :)

I got from going t

2. Rockn

Rockn

If your routers LAN address is .7 that is your gateway address. You would only use NAT if you want to point a service like an Email server or other service to your WAN IP address and NAT to an internal IP address. I doubt you will be able to configure this anyway if the ISP doesn't allow for static IP addresses. You could use a DNS service like NoIP for bynamic DNS.
    Give this a readthrough in regards to remote access.
    http://windowsserver2012.itpro.co.u...ote-capabilities-windows-server-2012/page/0/1

3. mastersmodo

mastersmodo Thread Starter

I will look into the program. I think I'll need it for the reason you stated. Thank you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1168204

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice