1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote access software suggestions

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by angel, Nov 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angel

angel Thread Starter

I am looking for low-cost remote access softare solutions for controlling another desktop.
    Here's an explanation as to how it would be used since it's different then how most are marketing their software.
    One user (possibly two) at one company would like to remotely control several of their clients pc for completing tasks, supporting software, etc. Most remote access software seems to be aimed at those who want to access their pc from multiple locations (one host/server, several clients) and price their software this way. This customer's need is for the opposite - they will probably use just one computer (maybe two) to control several others.
    That said:
    1. I've looked into PCAnywhere but that seems a little too pricey for this case.
    2. VNC probably isn't an option either because of the configurations required on the host/server if they are behind a firewall or something. This customer is not going to be responsible for assisting them with their networking tasks and their clients may not have anyone available on their end to set this up.
    3. GoToMyPC is an option though, again, really not aimed at this type of use (though would word).

So, I guess I'm looking for suggestions for others you may know of that are LESS expensive then GoToMyPC for this use. Preferably web-based due to the configurations required for establishing connection using non web-based solutions.

Thanks!

2. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    I have to admit that I don't know how the others work, but wouldn't they require just as much (or more) set up on a firewire than VNC? I use VNC for all of my systems and servers... easy to configure, just one port to open, and free... I don't see how the other programs could possibly run without having to open a port on the firewall as well... but I've seen magic (i.e. stuff I didn't know) done before. :)

3. angel

angel Thread Starter

Thanks!

Maybe I'll have them do a test with VNC so they can see how it is.

GoToMyPC is web-based and doesn't require anything special. As long as the host has the little app running and it is allowed to connect to the internet, the person wanting to connect just logs in at the website to access it.

4. mole

mole

Based on what I read here, I'm planning on testing VNC this weekend if I have the time.

Mike, Angel or anyone, have you played with making this "secure" as described on the VNC site re: SSH or via another method?

Thanks,

5. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Nope, I've only used the standard included password prompt.

6. p5mmx10g

p5mmx10g

netmeeting with remote desktop should do the job, if the security is not a really big deal

7. mole

mole

The VNC test went well. Netmeeting is an alternative in some cases, I have used it to run some pretty heavy datasystems from remote places, but it has some overhead that makes using it "cluncky". VNC is very light weight.

Still playing around with it, but impressed so far.

Angel, how is the evaluation going for you?

8. angel

angel Thread Starter

Haven't had much time to play yet. I plan to check out VNC a little more to see if that might actually be an option but I still get iffy with the fact that the client would need to know how to open the port (by themself or with their own resources).
    I'm going to test it myself (home>work, vice-versa) but first need to figure out how to open the port on my linux server (shouldnt' be that difficult - just haven't checked into it yet). So, hey - if you happen to know that off the top of your head, let me know! :D
    Oh ya - and what port does VNC use again?

9. mole

mole

The vnc.exe to access the remote computer uses 5900 and the remote PC will also be reachable via a browser on 5800... like this:

http://myaddrress.net:5800

VNC installs a small server on that port that runs a java applet.

I can hit my PCs within my home network from my home network, but I have to play around with server behavior in Zone Alarm for VNC apparently since I can't see the home network from work this morning. It should work eventually.

Don't know much about Linux, only that the logo is a penguin.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice