1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote access to file server via the internet

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by BFroehner, Feb 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BFroehner

BFroehner Thread Starter

Description of Systems:
    Two independent family companies, each with their own LAN, FILE SERVERS and WIN98 Workstations, each operating independently and successfully using different workgroup names. One company is using WIN2000 Server and the other WIN2000 Pro on the file server and all workstations use WIN98. Both FILE SERVERS are using NTSF file system on the partitioned drive for the files being shared. Everybody has DSL. I am wanting to be able to work from my home and access the files, via the internet, on each file server.

Observations:
    - I am able to intermittently map to the “WIN2000 Server” fileserver using a WIN98 workstation via the internet.
    - I am able to consistantly map to the “WIN2000 Server” fileserver using a “WIN2000 Server” workstation via the internet.
    - I am unable to map to the “WIN2000 PRO” fileserver, using a WIN98 workstation via the internet.
    - I am able to map to one of the WIN98 workstations on the WIN2000 PRO network.
    - I am able to ping the “WIN2000 PRO” fileserver but unable to map to the file I need.
    - In all cases I am able to ping and/or connect, using PCAnywhere, to any and all servers and workstations from my workstation at home via the internet.

Please help!!!

2. Rockn

Rockn

Make sure that NetBIOS is bound to your network card on the server/PC you are trying to connect to. Big security risk doing this though...anyone can access your files!! If you have a firewall open to the proper ports with letting static IP's in thru them then you should be fine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/68694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice