1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote access to PC on the my home linksys network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Bright1344, Nov 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bright1344

Bright1344 Thread Starter

I have a linksys roughter on myth my computers so they share the internet and i wanded to now how i can control recever computer to this one(thebase computer)
    both run on windows xp
    if that makes any sense

thanks

2. coulterp

coulterp

I think the honest answer would have to be ... No!! :)

However you might take a look at VNC (http://faq.gotomyvnc.com/fom-serve/cache/1.html) on the off-chance that is what you are after.

3. Bright1344

ok sorry ill rephrase

i have a wireless internet through out my house and i want to have access to a branched computer(with a linksys pci card) from this computer(has the linksys base and therefor wired to the internet) what do i need to do this

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

UltraVNC will allow you to remote control another computer on your network or across the country. I use it for remote client support.

5. tswsupport

tswsupport

define access? remote control? access to shared files/printers?

if the two computers are on the same segment and you are using XP, you can simpy use remote desktop/assistance for remote desktop access/control. if you are simply trying to gain access to files on the remote system on the same segment, you can create a shared folder on the pc that has the files. again, this is with the assumption in your statement that you have 1 computer that is wired, and one that is wireless in the same house, thus implying you are on the same segment/network. hope this helps.

6. Bright1344

yeah by access i mean remote control and share files

ive tried the remote desktop conection on windows but i had no clue how to set it up

now by segment i dont know what that mean but the to computers are not connected via a wire networ....k only by linksys bradband router

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

8. tswsupport

tswsupport

by same segment i mean that their IP Addresses are similar. Not the same.

ie...192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.11 means they are on the same segment. You cannot have two pc's with the SAME ip address. You will get errors. You can determine your IP configuration by clicking Start->Run and type CMD then click Ok or Enter. This will bring up a command prompt (black screen). type IPCONFIG /ALL this will give you your complete IP Configuration. Their will be a line that says IP Address. This is the IP Address of your computer. It does not matter whether one is wired and one is not, they should both be on the same segment. You can test communications in the command prompt by typing:

ping and then the ip address and hit enter.
    ie. ping 192.168.1.10

you should get replies back if they are on the same segment or configured properly. Hope this helps.

Remote assistance/control can be set up by right mouse clicking on My Computer, Properties, then the Remote tab and check the box to allow users to connect to this computer.

whew...too much coffee.

Michael

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

But from their post, it sounds like third octet is different.

So if that is the case, there wouldn't necessarily always be a 192.168.1.x IP scheme. Some computers might have something like 192.168.2.x

I suppose you could change the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0

10. tswsupport

tswsupport

I didn't see an IP in the previous posts. I simply used the standard class C non-routable address as an example. In my experience with the "best buy" type broadband wireless routers, they typically use a single "scoped" DHCP for both wired and wireless. I could be wrong. I haven't used my Linksys wireless in a year, so I could be wrong... :eek:

Michael

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Whoops. Confused this with another post. Too many windows open and not enough coffee.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/415286

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice