1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote access to your computer

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by Prof, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Prof

Prof Thread Starter

I saw this on another forum......it may be of help.
    To connect to your computer from another computer .......bring up the web site of your Internet Service Provider (ex.:www.comcast.net) and then find the page dealing with e-mails. Some ISP's call it "mailzone", "freezone" or "mail-inbox".Once on this page a box appears to enter your e-mail address and password. This gives access to youe e-mail account.
    In this way you could correspond with family and friends without using the phone.
    Or another use would be to send an e-mail to yourself (do not open)with important imformation (Credit card No.'s,pin No.'s for bank accounts and etc.) and if you were on vacation and needed that information it would be available.

2. jVirus

jVirus

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When I want to connect to my computer from another computer, I use www.ultravnc.com or www.tightvnc.com, it allows me to act like I'm sitting at the keyboard at home. :)

4. jVirus

jVirus

What about this xp remote management stuff. does it really work?

5. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

You mean Remote Desktop? Yep. It works great, you just need the client software.

6. jVirus

jVirus

err oh thats something i have to buy?

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

8. vette

vette

Question about the ultravnc program. How do I set up my computer and the computer that I want to access my computer from to make the connection?
    vette

9. XbrvhrtX

XbrvhrtX

hi vette,

First thing to do is install ultra on both machines

After installing, click on the "server" icon and a setup page will open up.

set the password to one you will know onto the machine you want to access (you are able to do this without knowing the default password showing, just type in the box a password to use) then hit apply and close.

next click on the "Viewer" icon and type in the IP address of the machine you want to access, it should then prompt you for the password you have set up, enter PW and that should be you :D

A couple of tips for you, If you have a firewall on either machine remeber to accept the trafic.

You can edit your hosts file in windows and give the machine your trying to access name so for example if the IP address is something like 168.24.3.100 you could edit your "Hosts"file and add to the bottom 168.24.3.100 Homer (you can pick your own name, you dont have to use homer :D), so when you open the "Viewer" you just have to type in homer and hit connect, it saves having to remember IP`s.

You may have teething probs due to OS`s and Routers etc so let us know if you have any trouble, give us the details and we will try to walk you through them :D

Cheers
    XbrvhrtX :D

10. vette

vette

Thanks for the info, one other question, my IP address is detected automatically when I log on to internet so when I go to Control Panel, Network Connections it does not give me an IP address. How do I check for or get an IP address. The computer I will be accessing from has Windows98 and the computer I want to access remotely has Windows XP home. Is there anything I need to do differently because of the two different operating systems?

11. XbrvhrtX

XbrvhrtX

12. vette

vette

I went to this web site http://www.lawrencegoetz.com/programs/ipinfo/ to check my IP address. I've checked it from two different computers and get the same IP for both systems. I should get two different IPs, right?
    vette

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You are behind a NAT translation it would appear, so your IP address always shows up the same.

Open a command prompt, and do:

IPCONFIG /ALL

... if you want your local IP address.

14. vette

vette

Hi XbrvhrtX,
    I tried to connect to my home computer from work but was unable to do so. I clicked on the server icon in my home computer and entered a password and hit apply and close. When you said to click on the viewer icon and enter the IP address, should that be on my home computer or my work computer that I want to access my computer from? Do I need to enter an IP address on both computers or just my home IP address on my work computer that I am trying to access it from?

15. vette

vette

I have the correct IP address but still can't connect remotely. When I enter my IP address from a remote computer in the VNC viewer window and click on connect, it does not give me the opportunity to enter my password, it just says Failed to Connect to Server. Any suggestions?
    vette

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice