1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

remote access

Discussion in 'Networking' started by danv12, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danv12

danv12 Thread Starter

what program can i use outside of the microsoft remote access thing that is like tightvnc? when i use tightvnc, aol security monitor's window is completely invisible. so what i need is a simple program (just for lan) that does remote access and can run the server on bootup. i only need to see my desktop, and it needs to be free, and i dont need to use it over the internet, just lan. free and simple, please. and perhaps no signing up involved.

2. gurutech

gurutech

Try Netmeeting - Start/Run, then type CONF and hit enter.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you tried UltraVNC? It has different video drivers than TightVNC, and may do things differently. UltraVNC will display video from MediaPlayer for instance.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

5. yzman

yzman

when all else fails i swear by logmein... their algorithm proved faster than vnc or rdp when i tried all 3 head to head, and with the options available the signup becomes insignificant. also you might not know, but all you need to do is download a shortcut to your pc and you do not need to log in to the website to initiate a connection.

6. Rockn

Rockn

Is logmein a paid service?

7. yzman

yzman

both, paid or free.
    paid offers extra features like file transfer and remote printing built in, but you can always email or ftp files and stick with the free version. i have been using it for about a year and manage about 20 computers through it... all for free

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

He just wants a utility for his LAN. Logmein would be overkill for this situation.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice