1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Assistance Works But Not Remote Desktop Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by drummmer, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drummmer

drummmer Thread Starter

February 16, 2010

My problem is this:

I can't run remote desktop connection in my current situation. I'm at home and I'd like to be able to do this.

I have a laptop that's fairly new. It's an HP Pavilion dv6 with an AMD Turioin II P520 dual-core processor that's 2.30 Ghz and it's running Windows 7 Home Premium, the 64-bit version.

I have two computers I'd like to control using my laptop: A Gateway GT5692 running an AMD Phenom 8450 Triple-Core Processor 2.10 GHz that's got the 64-bit version of Windows Vista Home Premium and a HP SR501P with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor 4200+ 2.20 GHz running the 32-bit version of Windows Vista Home Basic.

All are tied to a router. The laptop runs wireless and the two desktops have a wired lan. All connect to the internet through the router tied to a DSL modem.

I can control the computers using Windows Remote Assistance but not with Windows Remote Desktop connection. What's up with that? http://b.tsgstatic.com/smilies/frown.gif

And when I bring up system properties on my laptop, it has the “Remote Assistance” dialog but not the dialog for “Remote Desktop”. I viewed this on another computer with a video titled “Accessing another computer with Remote Desktop Connection”. On that video, it has the dialog for “Remote Desktop” viewable 50 seconds from the front of the video. I've noticed that this computer's system is “Windows 7 Ultimate” while I'm stuck with “Windows 7 Home Premium”. Perhaps this is the problem??

If this is due to not having “Windows 7 Ultimate” on any of my computers, is there a better version of a similar product that's free?

Thanks,

Drummmer

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Remote Desktop as a host is only available on Windows Pro and Ultimate versions. I like TeamViewer better anyhow. UltraVNC is another option.

3. geek117

geek117

Another cool solution is using Windows Live Mesh, or LogMeIn (both free services, using client software installed on the PC to be accessed.)

4. drummmer

drummmer Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'm using TeamViewer just now based on your recommendation Terrynet. It seems to work pretty good. I hope they let me us it forever.

I'll probably exist with TeamViewer for now. I usually don't download something unless I need it.

drummmer :)

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/981092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice