1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

remote connection fail

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rosh325, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

Hi,
    In the past I have used VNC to connect to my mothers computer from college as to provide tech support. After installing her new hard drive, however, this no longer works. As a result, I decided to just go to the basics and use xp's remote desktop connection. I had her send me an invitation good for several days..and had her configure the computer to accept incoming connections. When I try to connect, i get a connection failed error. What would cause this?
    She does not have any kind of firewall and i had her make sure the xp firewall wasnt installed. Her aol software has also been giving her problems (she cant browse in aol..only in IE). I'm really confused now and any suggestions would be appreciated..thanks

2. blin

blin

this may help. quoted from www.chicagotech.net.

Q: How to fix the error "Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the remote host name could not be resolved"?

A: When you receive an invitation from an Internet user whose computer is behind a router or firewall, the IP sent to you is the private IP behind the router or firewall. So that you can't access the computer. To fix this issue, 1) edit the invitation IP address. 2) Use Windows Messenger to establish the Remote Assistance session.

3. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

Hi...my mom and I are not behind routers/firewalls.....she's on a dsl line directly plugged into modem/computer..and I'm on a campus connection

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice