1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote control international PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lindopski, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lindopski

Lindopski Thread Starter

Here is a real brain twisting question

My boss has a house in spain , one day they are going to retire there and live there full time. She gave me a question today which is mind boggling but also very exciting to do if it works out.

she would like to have a pc installed at her home in spain connected to the pc she would like to install from one to several web cams to keep an eye on things every now and then whilst in the UK.
    there is a guy out there that cares for the house so he could switch it on and off etc.. but she does not mind leaving it on permanent.
    for a project of this scale we are looking at something reliable that wont mind being left on forever.

so guys what hardware / software ideas do you have.

i am only just thinking about it now , but I think a cool running processor
    is needed one that wont mind spain temperatures , something that self boots when the power goes down and then returns. some way of accessing the net , she has dial up access in spain but may switch to broadband if req which sounds like the best option for always on connection , also we need automatic reconnection to the internet on reboot of course.
    there may be some other way to do it but i have never looked into anything like this before so its very new ground for me.
    also some way of switching web cams remotely would be good.
    there could be some kind of remote desktop options for this , but my skills in RD are new/raw so i need practice in this.

I cant think of a way to get the computer in spain to dial up the net via a command from the uk without it being actually online or the caretaker doing it, hence the broadband idea.
    I am not sure of broadband options in spain at the moment but i will nose into it.

its all a bit sci fi for me at the moment but i doubt it is impossible, its a bit like the scene in Aliens when bishop acesses the drop ship remotely and flies it down to collect the marines :)

reliability is a big factor as web cams going down or pc not booting will be a pain as the caretaker guy doesnt sound like he knows a lot about computers let alone fault finding.
    software to use is also an issue , probably windows OS , but as for web cam stuff etc.. im not sure as i never use the things really.
    any ideas ?

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Right: to start with, in order to be able to access it remotely, it must have a static IP address, so that means broadband - and one that assigns static addresses.
    Once a machine has been through a couple of days being turned on, it is unlikely to suffer from overheating by being left on longer. You could fit a small air conditioning unit to control the room temperature. I don't think you need anything particularly special on the hardware side - just a good quality machine will do and good quality spike protection.
    Restarting is easy - just set up the applications to be loaded in a batch processing file that sits in the start-up folder. I do this at home.
    Remote access can be achieved over the Internet from any machine using something like VNC (there are many others)

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, if you use a service like DynDNS, you can access the machine with a dynamic IP address. I use UltraVNC for my remote control needs.

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

What's the budget? You can get IP camera's that plug right into broadband and can be assigned a static IP that contain their own webserver, or you can get cheap webcams that require a PC to serve up the pictures to a webpage on a webserver.. Which way you go depends on your budget.

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

6. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

7. Lindopski

Lindopski Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys , I didnt realise there were so many different ways to do this , I thought it would be a bit more difficult also , the budget is as little as possible really so I will find ways to cut costs , but these ideas are wonderful and very useful thanks.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice