1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Deskop Connection Failed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RockXP, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RockXP

RockXP Thread Starter

I'm trying to connect to my PC at work via remote desktop. :::cough im still in dialup btw::

I followed the steps I found on this website

http://edwebsfiles.ed.uiuc.edu/oet/icl/handouts/RemoteDesktop-Windows.doc

On the General Tab on remote connection I input the following

Computer: my work computer name

UserName: I put the name I use to login to the PC with everyday
    Password: my pw
    Domain: I input my workplace domain

In the experience Tab I select: 56K connection

I click on connect and I get the following message

::see attachment::

:confused:

Attached Files:

2. Lance1

Lance1

There are a number of steps to go through. In the image attachment there are 6 steps to follow. Step 5 will bring up Service Settings. Put the IP of the computer in there. And if there is a firewall at your work place, youÂ’ll to need to that up as well. Depending on the type and model that is there will indicate the settings. Like D-link and Linksys. Make sure to set the port to 3389.

Attached Files:

3. RockXP

RockXP Thread Starter

I'm on dial up so those router stuff dont apply to me. im uping aol as dial up.

4. Lance1

Lance1

It doesn’t mater that you are on dialup or high speed. Your IP address is trying to access the firewall at you work place so you’ll have to tell it to grant access to your IP and to access Remote desktop port 3389.

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

RockXP...

My advise to you is, consult your IT person on this, in order to get the remote connection working we need to know how your work network is setup ( ie: going through a router, server gateway Server OS ect...)...

Then you will have to tell us if it is a static IP connection, or dynamic from your ISP...

It's really not as simple as the link you posted would suggest, the server has to be setup to accept incomming remote connections, then your work pc will have to be setup to receive a remote connection...

6. RockXP

RockXP Thread Starter

The servers at work are setup to allow incoming connections b/c several coworkers were able to connect via remote desktop. We use DHCP at work. Any other suggestions that I can try?

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I would think that if several people can remote in, then they have Terminal Services setup on one of their servers setup at work. Or they have a VPN setup.

8. RockXP

RockXP Thread Starter

Im using the same setup as them. I VPN in as normal to establish a connection then I tried to use Remote Desktop and it fails on me.

9. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

when you put in the computer name for your computer I would bet that it is trying to resolve that computer name using the DNS servers from your ISP and not the DNS setup on your VPN connection. Try connecting using the IP address of your compuer at work. Are you sure it is turned on. I don't think you need to put in the Domain either.

10. RockXP

RockXP Thread Starter

Still doesnt work. One of my coworkers is unable to remote into my pc using remote desktop. All the settings are correct. He said a service might need to be restarted or stopped. Any ideas which service?

11. Lance1

Lance1

Remote Desktop Help Session Manager needs to be started

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      112.1 KB
      Views:
  12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436080

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice