1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

remote desktop access

Discussion in 'Networking' started by machv, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. machv

machv Thread Starter

I haven't used any remote desktop type programs much before and am looking to find one that is both reliable and secure (free too or at least free to try). I want to help someone fix their computer or solve issues they run up against.

They call me a lot and to save me time going to their place or doing it over the phone which can be frustrating too for both of us. I have searched and found quite a few but I keep finding extremely conflicting reviews of them from awesome to scam, which leaves me unsure of what to believe. Can anyone recommend any to me that they know are reliable and not potential scams that may screw us both if we use it.

one of the main reasons I have never really gotten into using a remote desktop access application is due to the potential door it gives any would be hacker. And I don't want to have to trial and error finding one too, I don't have the time to reinstall my OS or my friends should I download a scam by mistake. I also don't want my system to end up a zombie or ftp server either because I got the wrong one.

Thanks for any help and or recommendations that you can give me. Please feel free to add more than one to any list, plus a link to a user guide that I can read too would be great. and your opinion too. Erm... I think that covers it.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

3. machv

machv Thread Starter

I'll check those links out. My main worry about using windows' remote desktop is the potential for being exploited. Do you have any of your own suggestions on how I can set it up to minimize this risk? thanks

4. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

5. Mark1956

Mark1956

6. janettfung

janettfung

You could deploy a remote access appliance behind the firewall and let your firewall give you ultimate security protection. Check out Bomgar (http://www.bomgar.com/) and RHUB remote access appliance (http://www.rhubcom.com/) to see if they offer what you want.

To be brief here,
    1. Bomgar provides more sophisticated support session management functions. If you are a Fortune 2000 firm, those functions might be necessary.
    2. RHUB appliance is more affordable and has comprehensive collaboration functions. It provides web conferencing, remote access and webinar functions in one box.
    3. RHUB pricing per seat is about 10% of Bomgar.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1046984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice