1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Desktop Connection over the web

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bobb4ku, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobb4ku

bobb4ku Thread Starter

I'm able to use RDC within my home network (2 computers running XP, one Win98) but when a friend of mine tries to access my XP computer from his home he gets a error stating that the IP address or name of computer could not be found. His machine is running XP Pro, the same as mine.

What else is needed to connect via the web?
    How is my computer name converted to IP address for his machine?
    Is Remote Desktop "Web" Connection needed?

Any help would be appreciated....thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. austinguy

austinguy

1) If you're using WinXP Service Pack 2, disable the firewall, or add port 3389 to the allow list.
    2) You might need to check with your ISP to see if they're blocking that port.
    3) On the computer you want to connect to, go to Control Panel, System, click on the Remote tab. Put a check mark next to "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer."
    4) You don't need TS Web Connection. TS Web Connection is just a means to logon to a Terminal Services server if you don't have Remote Desktop Connection or Terminal Services Client installed on your computer. If you have IIS running in the background, you can install TS Web Connection which can be found at:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...rv/termserv/remote_desktop_web_connection.asp Once installed, you can go to http://www.<yoursite>.com/tsweb and connect to a Terminal Services server.

To find the IP address on your computer you need to go to a command prompt: Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt and type: "ipconfig" then hit <enter>. That will tell you your IP address. If you're behind a router, you'll need to go to your router configuration page and look at the status page to find out your IP address. You'll also need to configure your router to forward port 3389 to the computer you want to allow users to logon to. (i.e. If your router is 192.168.1.1, your winxp machine is 192.168.1.100, and your win98 machine is 192.168.1.101, you need to set your router to forward to IP address 192.168.1.100.)

There are several IP resolvers out there as well. I recommend http://www.dyndns.org. This way you can reserve your own domain name and have it resolve to your computer even if your IP address isn't static.

Hope this helps.

3. Headrush

Headrush

If you are behind a router, just go to www.whatismyip.com. This should display the IP the router is using. And like mentioned above, you must forward port 3389 requests to your machine.

4. bobb4ku

bobb4ku Thread Starter

thanks guys but I'm afraid my router configuration will not allow me inside without the proper username and password...which I dont ever remember setting...how do I get around this obstacle? How do I access this configuration
    again...its been awhile since I tried...???

5. austinguy

austinguy

If you're using a Linksys router, the default IP address to access the router from your web browser is 192.168.1.1, leave the username blank, and the default password is "admin". If you're using a different brand router, you'll need to refer to your users manual. Either that or at least let us know what model router you're using.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice