1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Desktop Connection - Vista to Windows 7

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Yoblazer, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yoblazer

Yoblazer Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I'm trying to connect my home PC to my work PC.

Home - Vista Home Premium
    Work - Windows 7 Ultimate

Given the two Operating Systems (Ultimate is the one being connected to), this should be possible. I changed the remote settings on my work PC to allow remote connections. I'm now home and trying to connect. When I input my work IP address (which I found with http://whatismyipaddress.com/) and user name and hit Connect, it asks me to enter my credentials. On this credentials screen, it shows my user account for the work computer with the correct login picture, so I know I have a connection.

My user name is already entered, but it still asks me for a password. I don't use a password at work, so I leave it blank and hit OK. It then gives me this error:

"An authentication error has occurred (Code: 0x80090304)."

No idea what this means. Should I try making a login password at work, or should I change some settings around? It's my first post, so sorry if I'm asking about something that was already recently addressed. Thanks in advance!

2. xXPing_PongXx

xXPing_PongXx

Have you tried logging in using an Administrator account or a Domain\Username on your that Work PC via Remote Desktop?

Is your Work PC configured to Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop or only computer running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication?

Let me know

3. Yoblazer

Yoblazer Thread Starter

Hello Ping_Pong, thanks for the quick response.

I tried to log in to my work PC with the same account that I do from work, which is set up as the administrator account for that computer. It doesn't have a password, if that changes anything.

I also made sure to allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop. I chose the option that Windows classified as "less secure" in order to improve my chances.

4. xXPing_PongXx

xXPing_PongXx

This is what needs to be done on your Work PC.
    You can start Registry Editor by pressing the Windows Key + R to bring up the Run Command then typing regedit.

1. Start Registry Editor.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber
    3. On the Edit menu, click Modify, and then click Decimal.
    4. Type the new port number, and then click OK.
    5. Quit Registry Editor.
    Try changing the port to 3391. Then when you try to connect to that PC from Home all you need to do is type your IPADDRESS:pORTNUMBER for example 10.0.0.0:3391

5. Yoblazer

Yoblazer Thread Starter

I went through all the steps. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I got an error message saying "This computer can't connect to the remote computer."

6. xXPing_PongXx

xXPing_PongXx

Try turning off the Firewall on your Work PC. Then try to connect to it again. You can also try installing logmein on your Work PC, you can access it from your Home PC easily. Just create an free account and add the computer to it. Then from home all you have to do is go to the website log in and click connect to the PC.

http://www.logmein.com

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since your issue seemed to have to do with a password on the work machine instead of fooling around with changing the port used why not just try setting a password on the work machine's user account. It's kind of mind busting to think of a work machine not using passwords, doubly so when it Remote connection is enabled.

8. xXPing_PongXx

xXPing_PongXx

Seems like every time I post something you have to be there to oppose with whatever I say... really?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have a lot of knowledge and answers but until you start better matching your answers to the symptoms I may well have other suggestions. :) Note that in this case I held off any replies until the OP had a chance to try the port change, even though I had/have no idea how that would help.

You have no way of really checking this, but I have seen a number of your posts where you are taking a different approach than I would, but I say nothing until when and if it becomes apparent (or seems apparent to me) that something else is appropriate. You, of course, only see the times that I post. Please don't take it personally.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975502

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice