1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

remote Desktop controling

Discussion in 'Networking' started by amer_ugeli, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amer_ugeli

amer_ugeli Thread Starter

Hello Every One.....

I have the following situation and I am trying to find a solution for it....
    I have a network and I am using win2k server with a domain to control it and the main purpose of the network is to allow the domain members to access the internet, I am getting the internet from an ISP in Italy via direct satellite that is a satellite dish on top of the building and then down to the satellite modem (LinkStar) the ISP has assigned me a range of static IP`s in the range 10.93.98.66 and it is obvious they are nonroutable IP`s, now since I am not available at the location all the time and the win2k server needs a very close monitoring since I have there more that 200 domain members, I thought if I can find a way to control and administrate the server from a remote location it would ease up things on me and I avoid any method that required puplic IP and in quest for a way to do that I came a cross Microsoft Netmeeting and I found that its desktop sharing facility is remarkable and meets exactly what I need, in working on netmeeting and through my search in the internet I have found that there are ILS servers on the net and from there I can connect to any other computer running Netmeeting and logged in to the same ILS ,so I setup netmeeting on the win2k server and then run it and logged it to one of the ILS servers on the net like netmeeting.de, now from the remote location I did the same and tried to call the win2k server (from the remote location my internet was from Italian ISP with static IP 172.18.0.178 non routable also) but I could not connect.
    The issue here is do I have to have a puplic IP to connect through the netmeeting and use the deskop sharing or should the ILS server do that
    even if my IP is non routable, can anyone help me on this issue its very important not only for me but I think its important for any network administrator who want to take care of his network remotly without the need for puplic IP`s .

Thank You
    Amer Ugeli

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice