1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Desktop hangs on login, freezes remote computer

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by karassasou, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karassasou

karassasou Thread Starter

I have two computers running Windows XP. Let's call them Acquiring and Processing.

Processing has SP3. Acquiring has SP2 and is behind a hardware firewall/router. (cannot upgrade to SP3 due to some software it has to run that will crap out if the computer is upgraded, hence the firewall.)

I configured the firewall/router to give Acquiring a specific address, and to open the port for remote desktop, and to forward anything coming in on that port to the Acquiring computer, which is the only device on that router in any case.

When I go to the Processing computer and try to Remote Desktop to the Acquiring computer, the login window comes up without a hitch. Once I type in the username and password and try to login, however, the desktop of the remote computer won't load. I get the little bar at the top of the screen with the computer name and the option to minimize or close, I can see and move the mouse, but the rest of the screen is completely black. Eventually I just end up closing the remote session (without logging off though, since I am not given that option)

Over on the Acquiring computer, the screen hasn't been locked as per usual. I can still see the desktop, but the computer is frozen. I have no mouse, and I can't even get the keyboard to toggle the lights for numlock and capslock. I then have to do a hard reboot of the Acquiring computer to get it un-frozen.

Can anyone help me try and figure out why this connection isn't working, and what I might have to do to get it to work? Many thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/855659

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice