1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote desktop issue over the net

Discussion in 'Networking' started by huggiesbear, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huggiesbear

huggiesbear Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have hit a brick wall with getting my work laptop to connect to my home computer with remote desktop. I can get it to work on my own private network but not over the internet. I have followed the steps to get the required services install and set up the Internet Information Services port 1179. left the rest as been working on my network at home.

One thing that has me confused is my firewall and router.

Firewall (McAfee) I have ticked remote desktop port Local - tcp/ip
    Port - 3389

and my IIS port Local - tcp/ip
    Port - 1179

Is the tcp/ip right or should it be UDP??

Router (BT HomeHub V2) I added these port forwarding port

Protocol Port Range Translate To Trigger Protocol Trigger Port
    TCP 3389 - 3389 3389-3389 Any(can be tcp or udp)

Protocol Port Range Translate To Trigger Protocol Trigger Port
    TCP 1179 - 1179 1179-1179 Any(can be tcp or udp)

Is the tcp/ip right or should it be UDP??

I have found out my Ip address, Made my IIS port number and i know my computer name but get a error message, SERVER NAME SPECIFIED IS NOT VALID

IP - 81.132.205.197
    PORT - 1179
    COMP - MAINCOMP23

http://81.132.205.197:1179/MAINCOMP23/ IS THIS RIGHT

PLZ HELP, RUNNING AROUND IN CIRCLES AT MO

RHYS

2. oldrookie

oldrookie

You should only need to open port 3389 TCP into your network and your computer for Windows RDP access.

Your router/firewall should have port 3389 TCP forwarded to the IP of your computer that you want to use RDP into. Also some routers/firewalls require another rule to allow port 3389 into the network - one being like a NAT rule and the other like an access rule. You also would want to give your computer that you want to RDP into a static IP on the LAN so that it will not change and then not work anymore because the router/firewall rules reference a specific IP.

It sounds like your home computer itself is configured correctly if you can RDP into it on your LAN

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice