1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Desktop - local ok, public not

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hmmmk, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hmmmk

hmmmk Thread Starter

I am trying to set up a remote computer to access a computer on my home network. Within my home network (locally) I can access everything with no problems. Remotely, though (using my public ip address) I am unable to log on.

Several things may be factors, but I can't seem to pinpoint the actual problem. I have a linksys router acting as a bridge and a zyxel modem acting as my router. I have been able to enable port forwarding on the zyxel for remote desktop program (no need for RD web, I don't believe), but don't know if I need to do the same to my linksys. If I do, how do I find the address to access that?

Also, when I try to access the networked host computer, do I need to specify that address/name in the username field when trying to connect? If so, would it be formatted: "\\computername\username" or "\\localipaddress\username" ?

I have no other ideas on what might be the problem, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How about the exact model for each of these units, as well as the version/patch level of Windows in use. What exactly is the issue you are having when you try to connect? Can you PING the remote computer from the one you're trying to connect from?

Why not simplify and plug directly into the modem for a test, that will eliminate all the middlemen. Also, if you're connecting to the remote site, you have to forward the port through any firewalls at the remote site.

3. dez_666

dez_666

Here is how I remote desktop from my work to my home (which is probably not the best idea..:D):

1. I have my comp on, remote desktop requests enabled, and on my router i have it set so that ALL connections from the WAN are forwarded to my computer on the port I used for remote desktop.

2. I have given my IP a DNS.. :D smart idea if you dont like remembering your ip..

3. At work, i open up the remote desktop client, type in my domain and my port, and click connect. works for me every time.

Just make sure you have your router set up to forward all remote desktop connections to your PC. The defualt remote desktop port is 3389, but this is changeable if you are comfortable editing your registry. Make sure your router is set to foward WAN requests on port 3389 to your PC on port 3389.

actually, it would give better security if you forward WAN requests from another port, so when people try to scan you for an open remote desktop port, they see another port instead. ;)

4. hmmmk

hmmmk Thread Starter

I'm not at the host computer at the moment, but here are the specs to the best of my recollection:

For the host computer:
    Win XP Pro SP2 V2002
    Router/Bridge is Linksys WRT54GX4 (wireless g broadband router with speedbooster to assist in networking a computer that was about 150 feet away in a separate building - works great BTW!)
    Modem/Router is Zyxel EQ-66R

For the remote computer:
    Win XP Pro SP2 V2002
    Modem is Zyxel EQ-66R

The host computer is on the network, wirelessly. It is not the main computer that is connected to the DSL modem and router. The remote computer is directly connected to a modem. Not an easy task to swap computers and remove the router too. Any other way?

I cannot ping the host modem now. On the host/networked zyxel modem, I have forwarded the remote desktop port 3389 to the internal ip address of the host computer. (Something new to me, but I believe I've done it correctly.) I don't know if I need to do the same on the linksys router/bridge. If so, how?

I receive the error:
    Remote Desktop Disconnected
    This computer can't connect to the remote computer.
    Try connecting again. If the problem continues, contact the owner of the remote computer or your network administrator.

I have tried turning off windows firewall on both computers.

I don't have a static IP, but for now, I don't mind changing the address as needed. I am not very experienced in networking yet and afraid to alter too much at once. (Just checked the host computer and it has the same local ip address today as it did yesterday.)

I would be happy to change the port in the registry, but until I get remote desktop working, I 'm afraid to add another possible wrench into the works.

Does this make things muddier, or can I still be helped? ;)

5. hrPUFFnSTUFF

hrPUFFnSTUFF

6. hmmmk

hmmmk Thread Starter

I am able to ping from within my network, but not outside of it. Does that mean that my windows firewall is turned off, but that the router/bridge or modem/router is still on?

7. dez_666

dez_666

Im still not sure about the way your network is set up.

Basically, its like this, right?

Modem from internet -> Linksys wireless router -> PC you want to get to (and whatever else is on the network)

right?

If thats how it is, the wireless router is what must be forwarding the connections to your 'host' pc. You can make sure it always has the same address by setting a manual IP in the network connections TCP/IP settings. you can do this even with DHCP enabled on the router.

Next step, find your WAN Ip. this is the ip that your modem gives your router from your ISP. this is the only IP you have to know. Pop that in the address bar in the remote desktop client, and you should be good to go.

8. hmmmk

hmmmk Thread Starter

That is the jist of my network!

I have used whatismyip.org to find out my address. Is this the address of my router or modem? Upon entering it into my remote desktop "computer" field, it does not work. I receive the above error (from my earlier post). This is why I was wondering if I need to access the router configuration and change the firewall or port forwarding there.

9. hmmmk

hmmmk Thread Starter

If I enter the address into my address bar, I access my zyxel modem.

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

For remote desktop, you need to enter the ip address followed by a colon : and 3389 ;)

11. ~Candy~

That is your IP address.....if you have remote access set up in the router configuration, you will add whatever port you set up there...for example, mine is 8080....so, I type the whats my ip address number, followed by colon:8080.....be sure to use the http in the address bar....sometimes that makes a difference.

12. dez_666

dez_666

Couple things: Im not going to get into it, but regardless of having a dynamic or static IP, having a domain name for your PC using a DNS service is very very useful. Basically, i type in my domain into the address bar of remote desktop client instead of an IP..which is harder to remember :D
    So anyways, another thing: you dont need to put ":3389" after the IP.

Where are you trying to connect from? if you're connecting from a workplace, because of your result, chances are they have a firewall blocking you.

13. hmmmk

hmmmk Thread Starter

I'm connecting from an office computer that I set up at a new business, so no extra firewalls. Just a simple DSL modem to single computer connection at the remote computer.

The host computer is the one that is networked at home.

If you feel that the DNS service is that important in helping resolve this remote desktop issue, please tell me more. I just seem to have the luck that causes me more trouble in the end.... :)

I don't use the web browser to access remote desktop, rather I use the remote desktop program/application, so I suppose the http and :port are not needed, correct?

I meant - is the whatismyip.org the ip address given to my router or my modem - since my router is acting as a bridge?

Thanks for sticking with me, guys....

14. dez_666

dez_666

Sorry I suggested the DNS/Domain thing, it may complicate things, but on the flip side it may make things easier in the end.

So, can you give me the model of your router and modem? And are you using your modem as a DHCP server? I am a little confused. :confused:

15. ~Candy~

Open remote desktop connection, and at the COMPUTER line type the IP address (the one you got from whats my ip) in along with :3389 at the end.

It's going to look like this:

68.224.98.36:3389 or something similar.

You DO HAVE your home computer set to log in with a password, correct?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice