1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Desktop on Server Question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dunestar, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dunestar

Dunestar Thread Starter

Hey guys.

I have a file server (Windows XP Pro) that I’ve moved to my home. It is hooked up to a 2Wire Broadband Router (it has 5 RJ-45 ports) along with my other work PC (Also XP). I have successfully connected both machines to the internet, and have set-up file sharing. However, very soon other employees out of state will need access to the file server. I was thinking to have them use their Windows XP Remote Desktop to connect, but not quite sure how to set this up, as the file server has the private IP 192.168.1.30. How do I get other people to remotely access my server from their PC's? Also, do I have to set the file server as the DMZ on my 2Wire for this to work properly? Thanks for the help!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Assign a static IP to the "file server" (using the router's "reserve an address" feature if it has it).

Forward the Remote Desktop port(s) to that static IP.

Unless you have a static public IP sign up for a service such as DynDNS, so that the others can access you by name.

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

From the description of your post, this is a business related setup. I may be over zealous about my security philosophy, but I highly recommend against exposing any internal workstation or server directly to the internet. This is exactly what you are going to do if you port forward ports into your fileserver. In essence, you're hanging your XP Pro fileserver box out onto the internet leaving port 3389 entirely exposed. At this point, you're depending on XP to be locked down enough to prevent any one from exploiting that box.

A VPN tunnel is the preferrable way of providing any remote connection.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/719159

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice