1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Desktop - Several PCs on network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by krbmedia, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. krbmedia

krbmedia Thread Starter

I have a small office that is using a Netgear router to access the internet. I have been able to setup one pc for Remote Desktop, through port 3389. In the router configuration, it asks me which ports to forward to which ip addresses. My problem is with the other pcs. I cannot have them also on port 3389 so what do I need to do on the router and each pc to enable them each to have remote desktop.

Thank you.

2. krbmedia

krbmedia Thread Starter

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you 'apply' and 'OK' the whole out of all the windows after changing the port?

Sometimes you have to Restart to make sure the change really "took." Did you Restart?

4. krbmedia

krbmedia Thread Starter

Yes I believe I did.

What re the exact steps, in order, that I need to take to have multiple pcs use Remote Desktop on the same router/network.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I thought Bob's web site instructions were pretty clear. Leave PC1 alone (port 3389); on the router forward port 3389 to PC1. Change PC2's port to, say, 3390; forward port 3390 to PC2. Change PC3's port to, say, 3391; forward port 3391 to PC3.

(Caution: my examples 3390 and 3391 may be poor choices as they may be important defaults for something else.)

6. krbmedia

krbmedia Thread Starter

How can I tell what ports are available and can be used?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  8. krbmedia

krbmedia Thread Starter

OK, when I look in my Windows firewall exceptions, under Remote Desktop it still says 3389. Am I missing a step somewhere?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Open the port(s) you're using.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/623863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice