1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Remote Desktop Utilization

Discussion in 'Networking' started by daywalker82i, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daywalker82i

daywalker82i Thread Starter

I am using windows xp and my friend in ukraine also uses windows xp
    we both use single computers and do not use lan
    i was asking whether i can access his computer throught the remote desktop tool.
    is it possible or is it available in lan only?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

XP-Home doesn't have the remote desktop service, only the client. If you're using XP-Pro, you can indeed connect. Another option is UltraVNC, which works with all versions of Windows, and it's free.

3. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

If you know his WAN IP address and it is enabled you can use it.

4. daywalker82i

daywalker82i Thread Starter

we both use winxp pro
    can someone tell me the procedure as to what ip i have to enter in the domain and which services i need to enable in his pc and mine. and how can we use wan ip and how can i know his wan ip?
    please tell me the procedure for all options available

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

6. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Okay, first you need to create an account with a password.

The right click on my computer and select properties and on the remote tab you enable remote connections.

Next add the users that you want to have remote access rights. ( you do this on the same tab)

Then goto this site and get your IP address, and have your buddy do the same

http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/

have your buddy tell you his IP address. lets say 70.10.10.25 is his address. (this is an example)

click start goto run and type mstsc and press enter.

in the box that is for computer name or address enter the destination computers address and press enter.

Enter the user name and password.

ANd thats it.. assuming that nether of you have routers in place or third party firewall software.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482060

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice