Remote Desktop Utilization

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

daywalker82i

I am using windows xp and my friend in ukraine also uses windows xp
we both use single computers and do not use lan
i was asking whether i can access his computer throught the remote desktop tool.
is it possible or is it available in lan only?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
XP-Home doesn't have the remote desktop service, only the client. If you're using XP-Pro, you can indeed connect. Another option is UltraVNC, which works with all versions of Windows, and it's free.

daywalker82i

we both use winxp pro
can someone tell me the procedure as to what ip i have to enter in the domain and which services i need to enable in his pc and mine. and how can we use wan ip and how can i know his wan ip?
please tell me the procedure for all options available

Okay, first you need to create an account with a password.

The right click on my computer and select properties and on the remote tab you enable remote connections.

Next add the users that you want to have remote access rights. ( you do this on the same tab)

Then goto this site and get your IP address, and have your buddy do the same

http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/

have your buddy tell you his IP address. lets say 70.10.10.25 is his address. (this is an example)

click start goto run and type mstsc and press enter.

in the box that is for computer name or address enter the destination computers address and press enter.

Enter the user name and password.

ANd thats it.. assuming that nether of you have routers in place or third party firewall software.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online